Searching for fully sintered boron nitride ceramic

• Thread starter gwj0606
  • Start date
In summary, there is currently no fully sintered material available for boron nitride due to its high sintering temperature. While there are some semi-sintered options, such as light yellow boron nitride ceramic, they are not fully sintered and may not meet your needs. A recent study found that even at 2000°C, it is impossible to sinter hBN powder to a dense bulk. There are some companies, such as [Link redacted by the Mentors], that can produce larger semi-sintered parts, but they may not meet your requirements. For more technical information, you can search for "sintered boron nitride shapes" or "strength of sintered boron
gwj0606
TL;DR Summary
Anyone can supply slightly yellow, fully sintered boron nitride ceramic?
I understand that boron nitride has quite high sintering temperature so it is not easy and could be quite expensive to get fully sintered material. But there are something available, right? I think I saw a small smaple of lilght yellow boron nitride ceramic years ago, but I don't remember the manufacturers name. It was quite smooth and semi-transparent, like alumina(I'm quite sure it's not PBN, because it's a block of about 1" cube). I believe it should be a fully sintered one. However, the BN I recently obtained are quite white, not transparent, and can be scraped off into powder. I guess it should be semi-sintered material, not fully sintered.

My job is now working on a quite big crucible like parts, that requires about 200mm Dia. x 400mm L in size. We puchased some [Link redacted by the Mentors], as they are the only one we found that could make such big parts. The parts are acceptable but, like what I said, they are more like a semi-sintered material. I was wondering is there anyone knows who can supply the fully sintered material? And, the maximum size available?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes berkeman

1. What is fully sintered boron nitride ceramic?

Fully sintered boron nitride ceramic is a type of advanced ceramic material that is made by compacting and heating boron nitride powder at high temperatures until it reaches its maximum density. This process is called sintering and results in a strong and durable material with high thermal and chemical resistance.

2. What are the properties of fully sintered boron nitride ceramic?

Fully sintered boron nitride ceramic has excellent thermal conductivity, high electrical insulation, and high resistance to chemicals and corrosion. It is also lightweight, non-toxic, and has a low coefficient of thermal expansion. These properties make it useful in a variety of applications, including in electronics, aerospace, and industrial manufacturing.

3. How is fully sintered boron nitride ceramic made?

Fully sintered boron nitride ceramic is made through a process called hot pressing, where boron nitride powder is compacted under high pressure and then heated at temperatures above 1800°C. This process causes the particles to bond together, resulting in a dense and strong ceramic material.

4. What are the advantages of using fully sintered boron nitride ceramic?

Fully sintered boron nitride ceramic has many advantages, including high thermal conductivity, excellent electrical insulation, and resistance to chemicals and corrosion. It is also lightweight, non-toxic, and has a low coefficient of thermal expansion. These properties make it a versatile material for various applications, including as a heat sink, insulator, or protective coating.

5. What are the common uses of fully sintered boron nitride ceramic?

Fully sintered boron nitride ceramic has a wide range of applications, including in electronics, aerospace, and industrial manufacturing. It is commonly used as a heat sink in electronic devices, as an insulator in high-temperature environments, and as a protective coating for metal surfaces. It is also used in cutting tools, furnace linings, and in the production of semiconductors and ceramics.