Should I sell a video game account for $500 or keep it for sentimental value?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jhicks
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
jhicks
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
Well, it's not exactly a collectible, but some might consider it worth obtaining. Currently, I'm considering selling off an account I have in a video game. I got a credible offer of about 500 dollars, but I still play it sometimes and it's somewhat valuable to me from a sentimental point of view, but time is also of the essence as the account will probably be worthless in a year's time. If I sell the account, then I made money off something I enjoyed doing for a couple years. On the other hand, 500 dollars is one week's pay and I have no debt or real wants at the moment to use the money on so it would basically sit in the bank.

I ask you, PF, what would you do in my situation? I know some people are going to say "well it's really up to you", but I like to pick rational answers so I'm appealing to people outside of the situation to determine what is the "best" decision.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I play SimCity for hours on end, and developped many cities.

I delete the cities like nothing. I have no sentimental attachment. It's not like you can't play the game anymore.
 
I delete the cities like nothing. I have no sentimental attachment. It's not like you can't play the game anymore.

Well you can also make a city in a couple days. I had invested some of my down time over two years into this, so I got a bit sentimental.

I'd get rid of it, take a vacation.

I ended up getting rid of it today -- thanks for snapping me to my senses! I'm not quite sure I will take a vacation, but a piece of furniture or two for the new apartment might do as well.
 
WoW... 500 bucks for an account :wink: what's next? I'm selling my email inbox for anyone that's interested, I'll chuck in the spam filters for free...
 
What game was it?

World of Warcraft. Some people go absolutely crazy for good accounts. I have had friends that have sold theirs for over two thousand dollars.