Danisa_B said:
Hi wanted to know if i should risk studying to become a math teacher, i mean i have always been fascinated by numbers but i was not good in it, well i know that i am good in Algebra but not good with geomatry, when i was in 11th grade i failed calculus, but i liked it. Should i become a math teacher and just keep studying or should i just not be one and study something not in math, though i love math. I wanted to major in CS or CE but i think being a math teacher is more easier, and are their a lot of girls in CS or CE? Just to note i am a girl. If anyone is curious
I have this thought, the fact that you were even enrolled in a calculus class in 11th grade says a great deal about your potential. You are a rarity (if you live in the US) to even take calculus in high school at all. Struggling with something is only going to make you a better teacher. If it came easily to you I think it less likely that you would work as hard conveying the information in a variety of ways to your students..
Good physicians with compassion and excellent bedside manner are often ordinary or even struggle in med school. (I was in the medical field for many years). At one time I lived in the Baltimore area and worked amongst serident and attending physicians from John Hopkins University Medical School and Harvard etc. Brightest of the bright in their profession.
My feeling is this I might want the brilliant genius type to diagnose my bizarre one in a million illness but I want the humanitarian in it "for the reward of serving mankind" to take care of my everyday ills or my child with chickenpox.
In additon there are many resources to help you get through a difficult spot in a challenging course. Ask yourself, was my attention on my crush in the adjacent row or missing my friend who moved away to a different state? Was that the year you worked 24 hours a week flipping burgers at Mickey D's to pay for your new car?
Life changes and so have you, you are older, wiser and have a better idea what you are getting into now. I say go for what makes you happy and gives you a reason to put your feet on the floor every morning.
So you are a girl, I say it it really should not affect your decision
The greatest obstacles in life are generally not the ones in front of us but are the obstacles that reside between our ears
I am a dad and sorry I got all preachy and started giving unsolicited advice
Best wishes
Wolf