Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slight advance on the usual crash impact query?

1. Jul 21, 2015 #1
    Apologies if this has been asked before. If you could help I'd appreciate it very much thanks. Just over a month ago I was on my moped and stationary facing up a slight incline on a dry road waiting at a pedestrian crossing for a guy to cross over it. Next second I'm watching the guy jump to one side and travelling forward over the crossing. I eventually came to a halt about 15 - 20 feet from where I was waiting. Turns out the guy in the estate car behind me was distracted by his mobile and so just hit me square on. Are there any formulas for working out how fast he was going please? The slight change to the usual dynamics is that in addition to the inertia of the Tarmac and incline the impact crushed part of the moped into the rear wheel thus acting as a brake. Would be great if someone out there can help. Thanks

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/slight-advance-on-the-usual-crash-impact-query.824159/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2015 #2
    It is frowned upon to ask questions in multiple forums and in the New Member Introductions.

4. Jul 21, 2015 #3
    Yeh sure. Sorry for that. Please forgive my nooby mistake. I posted first where I thought it best then read the new members email asking me to introduce myself. So if a mod can help me out and delete the other post I'd again be very appreciative. No disrespect intenteded. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Jul 21, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Done. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook