Solving x - |x - |x|| > 2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
converting1
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
## x - |x-|x|| > 2 ##

how would I go about solving something like this?

my initial thoughts was to consider if x >= 0

I get 2-x < 0 then x > 2 in that case

then consider if x < 0 which I get -|x+x| > 2-x then 2x > 2-x then x > 2/3 but I'm having troubles deciding which one is correct, and if there is another way to do it (I can't seem to sketch |x-|x||

edit: I know it's pretty obvious from looking at the equation that x > 2, but just wondering why I get the x >2/3 part from, and if I got given a question which is not obvious, then how would I know x > 2/3 would be wrong (for example), and which inequality would be the correct bit
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You do need to consider cases, and your first bit is correct since, if [itex]x \ge 0[/itex], the absolute value term gives
[tex] | x - |x|| = |x - x| = 0[/tex]

and your problem reduces to [itex]x > 2[/itex].

For the case [itex]x < 0[/itex], remember [itex]|x| = -x[/itex], so
[tex] |x - |x|= |x - (-x)| = |2x| = \text{ what?}[/tex]

Simplify remembering [itex]x < 0[/itex]: then take that simplification and plug into your original inequality statement and see what happens.
 
statdad said:
You do need to consider cases, and your first bit is correct since, if [itex]x \ge 0[/itex], the absolute value term gives
[tex] | x - |x|| = |x - x| = 0[/tex]

and your problem reduces to [itex]x > 2[/itex].

For the case [itex]x < 0[/itex], remember [itex]|x| = -x[/itex], so
[tex] |x - |x|= |x - (-x)| = |2x| = \text{ what?}[/tex]

Simplify remembering [itex]x < 0[/itex]: then take that simplification and plug into your original inequality statement and see what happens.

## |x - |x|= |x - (-x)| = |2x| = -2x ## if x < 0

plugging this in I get x - (-2x) > 2 so x > 2/3
 
Ok, so for the inequality to be satisfied you need to have both [itex]x > \frac 2 3[/itex] and [itex]x > 2[/itex] true. Where on the number line do those two inequalities intersect (where do their graphs overlap)? The answer to that gives the solution set to the problem.
 
"So stupid"

Not at all. At some time we've all benefited from a little push to look at a problem with a different eye.