1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs SULI Argonne Internship - Things It Can Lead To

1. Oct 28, 2016 #1
    Hi there PF,

Say I get into SULI at Argonne (a current researcher there wants me to be in their group next summer and says it'll be pretty likely I'll get in). The work I do will of course be important, but does the brand name mean anything (to grad schools, employers like Intel/IBM, etc)? It'll be the summer before my senior year.

I'm planning on going to grad school for computational solid state physics (emphasis on semiconductor and/or superconductor research), if that helps at all. One of my potential career paths is end up as a researcher at Argonne and I also would like to know if that affects hiring decisions more than usual.

Finally, general advice on how to handle it is welcome!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dear Modesty,

Go for it ! Argonne is high on any list.

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

My one SULI student at Argonne went on to do his PhD at MIT. He's still there.

Zz.

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did (s)he go many years ago ? :smile:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  6. Oct 28, 2016 #5
    Internships at the national labs are a big deal. I did a couple at BNL and turned down one at Argonne. This (and the resulting publications and letter of recommendation) was essential to being admitted to MIT for grad school. I also met my wife there. (A fringe benefit of the best internship programs is they tend to put some of the highest quality geeks in the same place - love happens.)

7. Oct 28, 2016 #6
    I would absolutely go for it. I did a SULI at Fermilab and not only loved it, but I made some great connections there and got some great LoRs.

8. Oct 29, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

As a practical matter, are you saying if you got a vSULI, you would turn it down if the "brand name" were not ritzy enough? And what would you do instead? (If you turn down a SULI, you don't get another offer)

9. Oct 31, 2016 #8
    No, of course I wouldn't turn it down! I am fully planning on doing this, I know I would make connections there and learn a whole lot. Brand name doesn't matter to me personally, it was just one example of something I thought could be an impact factor for my future based on my SULI experience.

I want to make the most of my time there when I do it, so I'm also using this thread to ask about that. Should I focus on my research project? Make time for socializing with my peers, other Argonne faculty? Does doing SULI increase my chances of being accepted into it next year (at another lab maybe?) provided I do well? (perhaps that's something I can ask when I get there).

Thanks to the feedback from others. To clarify, I AM going to do this if I get the chance, but if there are things I can work on now to optimize my time there, what are they?

Note: if I speak in terms of confidently being able to get in, that's because my current prof. works at Argonne and would happily have me on their team

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted