SULI Vs. DOD Contractor Internship Advice

• Thread starter pYr0rAGE
  • Start date
Hi all

I have recently been approached for two offers for this summer. One is a SULI internship at Argonne Nat'l Labs in the software engineering field, and the other is with a DOD contractor (Dynetics) for similar work (i.e. low-level software development). I am currently a sophomore in college double majoring in electrical engineering and physics, with a minor in mathematics. My questions for anyone who has an opinion:

1) I eventually want to go into the field of digital signal processing / chip design (Altera, etc.). With that in mind, and ignoring financial constraints, which internship should I pursue?

2) Has anyone on this forum participated in the SULI at Argonne? If so, I'd like to hear about your opinions about your time there.

Thanks for your help
-pYr0

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

I was a mentor to a student in the SULI program at Argonne, so probably not the type of experience you are seeking for. Still, I at least know of the program and the place.

Zz.

Well, I'll take any opinions on the program that I can get!

Did the student you mentored have an overall positive experience? If you were in my shoes, would you chose the SULI program?

-pYr0

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

Well, I'll take any opinions on the program that I can get!

Did the student you mentored have an overall positive experience?
He definitely did! I also wrote his letter of recommendation when he applied to grad schools, and he is now doing his PhD at MIT.

Too bad he decided to work on "gravitational waves"!

:)

If you were in my shoes, would you chose the SULI program?

-pYr0
If I were in your shoes, I would do ANY kind of research internship that I could get.

Zz.

I regularly mentor SULI students at my institution (not Argonne). It can be a great experience for the students but it depends a lot on your mentor and the project. The experience of students varies a lot.

In my experience talking with many people who have worked at National Labs vs Defense Contractors, generally what I hear is that the level of exposure to new tools and ideas is better at National Labs. So much stuff is protected and compartmentalized at a Defense Contractor it will be hard to see the big picture.

This depends entirely on the specific opportunities you have of course. But that is my second-hand experience.