1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SULI Vs. DOD Contractor Internship Advice

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    Hi all

I have recently been approached for two offers for this summer. One is a SULI internship at Argonne Nat'l Labs in the software engineering field, and the other is with a DOD contractor (Dynetics) for similar work (i.e. low-level software development). I am currently a sophomore in college double majoring in electrical engineering and physics, with a minor in mathematics. My questions for anyone who has an opinion:

1) I eventually want to go into the field of digital signal processing / chip design (Altera, etc.). With that in mind, and ignoring financial constraints, which internship should I pursue?

2) Has anyone on this forum participated in the SULI at Argonne? If so, I'd like to hear about your opinions about your time there.

Thanks for your help
    -pYr0

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: SULI Vs.DOD Contractor Internship Advice

I was a mentor to a student in the SULI program at Argonne, so probably not the type of experience you are seeking for. Still, I at least know of the program and the place.

Zz.

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3

Well, I'll take any opinions on the program that I can get!

Did the student you mentored have an overall positive experience? If you were in my shoes, would you chose the SULI program?

-pYr0

5. Feb 26, 2013 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

He definitely did! I also wrote his letter of recommendation when he applied to grad schools, and he is now doing his PhD at MIT.

Too bad he decided to work on "gravitational waves"!

:)

If I were in your shoes, I would do ANY kind of research internship that I could get.

Zz.

6. Feb 26, 2013 #5
    I regularly mentor SULI students at my institution (not Argonne). It can be a great experience for the students but it depends a lot on your mentor and the project. The experience of students varies a lot.

In my experience talking with many people who have worked at National Labs vs Defense Contractors, generally what I hear is that the level of exposure to new tools and ideas is better at National Labs. So much stuff is protected and compartmentalized at a Defense Contractor it will be hard to see the big picture.

This depends entirely on the specific opportunities you have of course. But that is my second-hand experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook