Susskind Stanford Lectures: Questions for Supplemental Reading

• Thread starter Kidphysics
  • Start date
In summary: I'll definitely check out the playlist. In summary, you should learn special relativity first, and then purchase a book on GR if you want to learn more.
Kidphysics
I want to watch Susskind's Stanford lectures but don't know what kind of supplemental reading I should have. My school doesn't offer gen relativity and I know it's heavy on math. Questions are 1) Should I learn special relativity first? 2) Should I buy a book, and if so what book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kidphysics said:
I want to watch Susskind's Stanford lectures but don't know what kind of supplemental reading I should have. My school doesn't offer gen relativity and I know it's heavy on math. Questions are 1) Should I learn special relativity first? 2) Should I buy a book, and if so what book?

You should say something about your background and current level of understanding...

yenchin said:
You should say something about your background and current level of understanding...

This is a good point I'm basically a freshman who is finishing up calculus, going to take my first physics course after the summer.

Susskind has lots of series from classical mechanics to cosmology, so you should start from the easier ones. I think Susskind has a series on Special Relativity? So certainly watch that before attempting his videos on GR.

I have not read this book but you might want to take a look at it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/9812771603/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

You might also enjoy Geroch's semi-popular (not much math) book https://www.amazon.com/dp/0226288641/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Don't underestimate it though, this book is not an easy reading and requires lots of thinking to digest.

It's also good to take a proper course in linear algebra (if it's not already a required course at your school).

Last edited by a moderator:
yenchin said:
Susskind has lots of series from classical mechanics to cosmology, so you should start from the easier ones. I think Susskind has a series on Special Relativity? So certainly watch that before attempting his videos on GR.

I have not read this book but you might want to take a look at it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/9812771603/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

You might also enjoy Geroch's semi-popular (not much math) book https://www.amazon.com/dp/0226288641/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Don't underestimate it though, this book is not an easy reading and requires lots of thinking to digest.

It's also good to take a proper course in linear algebra (if it's not already a required course at your school).

thank you very much yenchin

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the main focus of the Susskind Stanford Lectures?

The main focus of the Susskind Stanford Lectures is to provide supplemental reading materials for students and researchers interested in theoretical physics, specifically in the areas of quantum mechanics, cosmology, and string theory.

2. Who is Leonard Susskind?

Leonard Susskind is a renowned theoretical physicist and professor at Stanford University. He is known for his contributions to string theory, quantum mechanics, and black hole physics.

3. How many lectures are included in the Susskind Stanford Lectures?

There are currently over 100 lectures in the Susskind Stanford Lectures series, covering various topics in theoretical physics. These lectures are available for free on YouTube and other online platforms.

4. Are the Susskind Stanford Lectures suitable for beginners?

The Susskind Stanford Lectures are primarily designed for students and researchers with a basic understanding of theoretical physics. However, some lectures may be accessible to beginners with a strong interest in the subject and a willingness to learn.

5. Can the Susskind Stanford Lectures replace traditional textbooks?

The Susskind Stanford Lectures can serve as a supplemental resource for learning theoretical physics, but they should not be used as a replacement for traditional textbooks. These lectures provide additional insights and perspectives, but may not cover all the necessary material in a comprehensive manner.