The Big Lebowski: 25 Years of Cult Classic Hits

  • Thread starter Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
12,711
Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 8.26.59 AM.png

from The Hollywood Reporter:
“I thought it was going to be a big hit,” star Jeff Bridges tells THR, along with sharing some of his personal behind-the-scenes photos from the film’s set, many of which appeared in his 2003 book, Pictures. “I was surprised when it didn’t get much recognition. People didn’t get it, or something.”
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I met a guy recently who was very similar to John Goodman's character in TBL! Similar in haircut, shape and personal philosophy.
 
  • Wow
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and BillTre
PeroK said:
I met a guy recently who was very similar to John Goodman's character in TBL!
Was it me?
 
PeroK said:
I met a guy recently who was very similar to John Goodman's character in TBL! Similar in haircut, shape and personal philosophy.
I knew a similar person years before I saw the Coen Brothers' movie. This enormous war veteran had the knack of stating the most egregious outlandish ideas but in a cool soft reasonable voice that nearly led you to agree before realizing the inherent absurdity.

The late great novelist Larry McMurtry, who may have known the same person when he lived in Northern California, immortalized this uncanny verbal trait in a character created as comic sidekick to dour Duane, the protagonist of McMurtry's "Last Picture Show" Thalia series of novels. In "Duane's Depressed" this character calls out the local police, armed volunteers, and the mayor who contacts the state police and national guard before Duane realizes his factotum describes, not Middle Eastern terrorists, but invisible space aliens.
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK and BillTre