Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Things aren't always what they seem.

1. Dec 24, 2008 #1
    take the title of this thread for instance. I'm sure a couple of mentors are rushing to see what I'm complaining about this time, but alas that's not what this is about.
    I was walking through a thrift store yesterday and I found a "Zero Blaster." For those of you who don't know what that is, its a gun that shoots smoke rings. It was only 99 cents so I bought it. I got home and jumped online to see what I needed to do to get it working. It turns out that it needs to be filled with their special smoke producing formula, which I didn't have. It also needed six AA batteries which I didn't have. I could order the formula online, but it would take days to get here and who can wait that long? I did some research and found out that the smoke formula is made of purified water, propylene glycol and glycerin. I know what that stuff is, I can make it myself.
    I went to the drug store and started looking for glycerin and propylene glycol. I couldn't find it, but I did find a product who's ingredients were: purified water, propylene glycol and glycerin. So I grabbed a bottle of it and a package of batteries and went to the counter to pay. You should have seen the look the cashier gave me as she bagged my 12 pack of batteries and my tube of Astroglide personal lubricant. I didn't even attempt an explanation. I just paid and fled.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2008 #2
    That... is awesome.
  4. Dec 24, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If they are, I imagine they'd rather spend their time at PF enjoyably, just like anybody else would. Somebody who continually draws their attention and soaks up a lot of their time (that they'd rather spend having fun on here) is just plain asking for trouble.

You and I haven't interacted much, but I have enjoyed a lot of your posts. When you're really on it has brought me a lot of laughs. But the whole "the Mentors are out to get me" act has gotten pretty tiresome.

With respectful regards,

5. Dec 24, 2008 #4
    see, and I thought I was making a joke. I guess my sense of humor hasn't returned yet. I wasn't complaining. I thought I was being self deprecating and showing a "no hard feelings" attitude, because the fact is the mentors have had to be on the ball and watch me. I have been pissy.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  6. Dec 24, 2008 #5
    This was a good one :blushing:
  7. Dec 24, 2008 #6
    For the record, I don't think astroglide is compatible with the zero blaster. I can't get the stuff in the small hole on the gun. It's too thick. I've got astroglide on my hands now and a little bit goes a long way. My room smells like burnt astroglide and my keyboard is all shiny. I swear to god I was trying to play with a toy. Nothing else. I hope nobody comes over.

Edit: I'm leaving hand prints on everything I touch and I can't get the door opened.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  8. Dec 24, 2008 #7

Mouse over for the alt-text.
  9. Dec 24, 2008 #8
    Lol... lubricant is insidiously persistent. I guess that's the point though.
    Maybe if you added some more water and/or glycerin to the mixture it would work better?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?