Transfer Students and Research Opportunities

I was wondering if anyone could tell me of their experiences in trying to get research a transfer student.

I am planning on transferring to a more prestigious and more competitive school in a semester or two (I am aware that no transfer can be guaranteed and it may not happen, but assume for now I do get accepted). Will my chances of finding undergraduate research be diminished? Same goes for applying to TA positions. I feel like I would be limited by my weaker background school regardless of skill.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I'm hoping people have some stories to share about research and transferring that can clear things up.

*side question:Do graduate schools take into account previous institutions even if you have a good GPA from the school you finish in?

Thank you in advanced for sharing your time and experience!

Answers and Replies

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I'm not sure how anyone can really answer this. It would probably be worth your while to investigate the research opportunities at the school your at and the school you're thinking of transferring to. Just because a school has more prestige doesn't mean it has more or less opportunities for undergraduate involvement in research or TA appointments.

When you transfer, the new school will either recognize credits from the previous school or it won't. You're not likely to be seen as a 'second class' student. Keep in mind that it's not a given that all credits will transfer over either - or at least not in the way you might think. For example your first school might consider a given course part of its core physics curriculum, while the one you transfer into will not, but will give you credit for it as an elective. It's well worth investigating this thoroughly.

And yes, graduate schools will generally take into account all of your undergraduate work. However, they may assign more weight to more recent marks, particularly if they are in higher level classes.

Okay, that's basically what I was looking for.

I have the transfer equivalents already mapped out, I know what credits will and will not transfer and all of my core classes will as well as several electives as you've said. I am leaving most of my major work for after the transfer that I'm assuming will occur.

It's good to know that they will review all of it, I just hope I can get the research and recommendations to compensate for having previously attended a lower quality institution.

Thank you for the information!