Transferability of credits from distancecalculus.com to universities

  • Topic: Courses 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lawnphysics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calc 1
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
lawnphysics
Messages
9
Reaction score
3
I need to find an online Calculus 1 course. I am degree seeking, but I can enroll in the school offering the course as a student for their institution. I intend to pay cash for the class to forget the financial aid non-sense.

I looked at www.distancecalculus.com and the RODP of tennessee. I am leaning to the first, but I am worrying about credits transferring when I am finally able to go back to an University full time.

I am also having trouble figuring out what school this distancecalculus program is associated with.

Thanks!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: larry_winster, Mariia and Oleksii Bleianiuk
Physics news on Phys.org
I found this post this evening on your site:

jrjack said:
Any Board of Regents CC or State school in TN now has access to a new online offering for Calc-based Physics 1 and 2. Fully transferable to other Regents schools with ABET accredited programs.

Here is some info about the classes (Physics 2110, 2120):
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=541413
http://www.rodp.org/degree-programs-courses/course-listings

At this thread here: https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3622506


So what is a Board of Regents State school? Does this mean ANY state, or only the state of TN? I found several Calculus Courses on that site starting at about $250 per credit hour.

I also figured out that DistanceCalculus is associated with Shorter University (I thought at first they were saying the classes were "shorter," but apparently it is an actual school. A Baptist School in Rome, Georgia. The credits would transfer from there apparently. They say Shorter University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate, baccalaureate, and master's degrees. My school is accredited by, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission.

The syallabi look like EXACT copies. Other than a few adjectives here and there and the order of topics.

I know distance learning for Physics and Math is not the best way to go. However I only have to options either use distance learning or quit. I am 28 and unforseen circumstances regarding elderly grandparents, and the small business I run have put me in this situation. I would rather not quit. I study very well independantly.
Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
lawnphysics said:
So what is a Board of Regents State school? Does this mean ANY state, or only the state of TN?

The reference is to the Tennessee Board of Regents which oversees the state universities and community colleges in Tennessee:

http://www.tbr.edu/

Whether these courses are transferable to other schools in other states, depends on the schools in question. I suggest that you contact "your school," give them a link to the courses that you're interested in, and ask them whether they are acceptable for transfer credit.
 
lawnphysics said:
I found this post this evening on your site:



At this thread here: https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3622506


So what is a Board of Regents State school? Does this mean ANY state, or only the state of TN? I found several Calculus Courses on that site starting at about $250 per credit hour.

I was referring to the TN Board of Regents, but I'm sure other States have similar programs. RODP is just a collaborative effort among several TN community colleges and universities to provide transferable and comparable distance education.

However, some of the individual schools offer online classes (at a cheaper price) directly through the school and not through the RODP program. I try to find those when available, but have paid the extra $40/hr or so for the RODP class.

I am just finishing Calculus 1 online through Vol State, but will be taking Calculus 2 through RODP.

http://www.rodp.org/home/universities
http://www.rodp.org/home/community-colleges
I am not familiar with Shorter University or DistanceCalculus, so I cannot help you there. I do know that all these schools are SACS accredited, and this year they have a more universal transfer agreement.
http://www.tntransferpathway.org/transfer-admission-guarantee
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are two reputable distance courses in Canada. The fees to the USA will be higher, though. You will also need to check whether they will transfer to your school of choice. Athabasca tends to be recognized in more places outside of Canada than TRU.

http://www2.athabascau.ca/syllabi/math/math265.php

http://www.tru.ca/distance/courses/math1141.html