Understanding Aerodynamics for High-Speed Vehicles

• Automotive
  • Thread starter askor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerodynamics
In summary: I thought it would be.In summary, Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles is a difficult book to calculate from scratch.
askor
I don't understand aerodynamics and want to learn it.
For example, there are three different cars, car 1, car 2, and car 3 (please see attached image).
The power of all cars are similar, 1000 HP.
The nose (front) of the car 1 is 90 deg, car 2 is 60 deg, and car 3 is 30 deg.
They all have to run a straight track with distance of 1000 meter.
I don't know, but if I take a look of the angle, the car 3 must be faster than car 2, and car 2 must be faster than car 1.
That's because (in my opinion) the nose (front) of the car 3 is sharper than car 2, and car 2 is sharper than car 1.
The question is, how do I calculate the drag, acceleration, and time to travel the 1000 meter straight track?

Attachments

• aerodynamics.PNG
    aerodynamics.PNG
    9.6 KB · Views: 212
Engineering news on Phys.org
What level of schooling have you completed? This is something that is really difficult to calculate/model from scratch.

A good place to start for drag information is a copy of Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles by Hucho. The figure below is from the fourth edition page 156. There are many other figures showing various aspects of front end design on drag, downforce, crosswind sensitivity, and handling.
Hucho.jpg

He also discusses the effect of aerodynamic drag on acceleration and top speed.

• Informative
Likes sysprog and berkeman
When I was a kid (age 21) I was known in some circles to be an extremely skillful driver. I was invited to test drive a very lightweight 4-wheel vehicle that was powered by 2 Kawasaki Z-1 (about 1 liter displacement each) motorcycle engines. The request was to top it out on the salt flats in Utah. It had already been tested at over 180 MPH but it was thought that it could possibly do as much as 240 MPH.

The sponsors were prepared to pay for my airfare and lodgings, and to provide a few thousand dollars in compensation, but I asked to see the wind tunnel test results for the anticipated top speed, and was told that they didn't have any.

I said that it was no wonder that whoever else it was had backed off at 180. I said that I didn't want to be the pilot when the thing went airborne at 200+ MPH and started tumbling end over end so that they'd be picking up my remains with a sponge over a 5 mile stretch.

I think that I was right to want to see the smoke in the wind tunnel before betting my life on a possibly errant view of the aerodynamics involved. As @russ_watters said, such a thing is "really difficult to calculate", and as @jrmichler and @jack action indicated more than only implicitly, it's rather involved.

To map the system mathematically, you would need to consider a tensor set, up to at least jounce (aka snap -- 4th derivative of position wrt time), in each of the 3 spatial dimensions, and unless you're Gaussian enough (maybe Carl Gauss or Leonhard Euler could have done that in his head) to do that purely mentally, you'd still be better off gazing at and pondering about the wind tunnel smoke.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron, berkeman and anorlunda
I thought my question is simple and easy but why all of the reply seems too advance for me?

askor said:
I thought my question is simple and easy but why all of the reply seems too advance for me?
Because your question does not have a simple answer. That's the reality of aerodynamics.
askor said:
The question is, how do I calculate the drag, acceleration, and time to travel the 1000 meter straight track?

Likes sysprog
askor said:
As @berkeman suggested, sometimes a question may seem simple, while an honest answer to it brings in difficulty.

Here's an example that isn't from your question:

Q: Is air heavier than water?
A: Well, at first pass that answer is no, but the total mass of air that is within 30 meters of the sand anywhere that is mapped as in the Sahara desert is much greater than the total mass of water that is similarly located.

We're not trying to be obnoxious, but Science people tend to try to be precise.

In your case, in which you're concerned about high-speed aerodynamics, we want you to be safe, and so we want to make sure that we don't misadvise you.

Please just imagine for a brief moment:
Oh, hi God, I didn't really intend to be dead just yet, but this guy on the physics website said it would be ok, and it turned out that he was wrong, so here I am.​

It's not always a big deal, but people here on PF do strive to be responsible.

1. What is aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics is the study of how objects move through air or other gases. It involves understanding the forces acting on an object as it moves through a fluid, and how these forces affect its motion.

2. Why is it important to learn aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics is important in many fields, such as aviation, automotive design, and sports. Understanding aerodynamics allows us to design more efficient and faster vehicles, and can also help us improve the performance of athletes.

3. What are the basic principles of aerodynamics?

The basic principles of aerodynamics include lift, drag, and thrust. Lift is the upward force that allows an object to stay in the air, drag is the resistance force that opposes motion through the air, and thrust is the force that propels an object forward.

4. How can I learn aerodynamics?

There are many ways to learn about aerodynamics, such as taking courses in physics or engineering, reading books and articles, or watching online tutorials. It is also helpful to practice and experiment with aerodynamics through hands-on projects or simulations.

5. What are some real-world applications of aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics is used in many real-world applications, including designing airplanes, cars, and wind turbines. It is also important in sports such as cycling, skiing, and bobsledding, where reducing drag can improve performance. Additionally, aerodynamics is used in the design of buildings to reduce wind resistance and improve energy efficiency.