1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

V=kq/d or W=qEd

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    I'm really confused about these two equations; are they the same or do they denote different things?

I know they are both to do with electric potential, but in what context do I employ them in? Our teacher told us to use one of them in a uniform field and another one of them in a non-uniform field but I don't remember which one is which.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

No, V is the electric potential (not potential energy) and W is work (energy). The electrical potential energy, not to be confused with the electric potential, is the potential energy a charge has in an electrical field.

It is similar to gravity, where if you lift an object a short distance h from the ground the object has a potential energy of mgh. The work required to lift that object a distance h is then also mgh. The electric field works the same way. When you move an object away from an electrical charge you have to do work.

The formula [itex]V=k\frac{q}{d}[/itex] gives the potential at a distance d. This formula is only valid for point charges. The formula [itex]W=qEd[/itex] is the work needed to move a charge q in an electrical field E a distance d. The general formula is W=qV, for a uniform electrical field V=Ed. Therefore you can only use W=qEd for a point charge in a uniform electrical field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook