Video: SF ships/structures size comparison

In summary, a video called "FICTIONAL STARSHIPS Size COMPARISON" showcases a comparison of various fictional structures from science fiction novels, movies, and games. The video includes some structures that may not necessarily be considered starships. The conversation also mentions some ships that were not included in the video, such as the C57-D from Forbidden Planet and the Nautilus from Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. The conversation also touches upon a discussion about the sizes of Star Wars ships and mentions the Space Battleship Yamato, which has a whole series of movies. There is some confusion about the connection between Space Battleship Yamato and Starblazers.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Here's a nice video which is a size comparion of a great number of fictional structures from science fiction novels, movies and games. The video is called "FICTIONAL STARSHIPS Size COMPARISON" but it includes some structures I personally wouldn't call starships, but anyway...

Enjoy!

A bonus is that if you watch the entire clip it's in my opinion a pretty strong indication that you are a true SF nerd (yes, I watched the entire clip :biggrin:).

FICTIONAL STARSHIPS Size COMPARISON

Likes DrStupid, Jarvis323, BillTre and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
This was awesome. A lot of modeling going on there. I can’t imagine the time, research and energy that went into this.

I did notice a few ships were missing:
- C57-D from Forbidden Planet
- some historical ships like the Ark, Kontiki, USS Constitution, HMS Bounty...
- Nautilus fromTwenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
- The Time Machine from both movies
- Roman Trireme from Ben Hur

Likes DennisN
Had a similar discussion with my son on the respective sizes of minifigure-scale Star Wars ships. He built the big Millennium Falcon, but that is relatively small on the scale of ships in the series:

Likes DennisN
jedishrfu said:
I did notice a few ships were missing:
- C57-D from Forbidden Planet
I think you should declare a conflict of interest :wink:

For me, a selection of Culture ships: perhaps the GCU A Series Of Unlikely Explanations and GSV Empiricist and maybe an orbital.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Space Battleship Yamato?
Never heard of that one.

jedishrfu said:
Why did you ask? It says so in the wiki article.

Obviously, you're right, I scanned the articles contents and didn't see that. Of course it was in the first line in the body text.

Thanks.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the purpose of the "Video: SF ships/structures size comparison"?

The purpose of this video is to provide a visual comparison of the sizes of various ships and structures in science fiction media. It aims to showcase the vast differences in scale between these fictional objects.

2. What types of ships and structures are included in the size comparison?

The video includes a variety of ships and structures from popular science fiction franchises such as Star Wars, Star Trek, and Halo. It also includes some original designs and concepts.

3. How accurate is the size comparison in the video?

The size comparison in the video is based on official size specifications and measurements provided by the creators of the respective science fiction franchises. However, it should be noted that some sizes may vary depending on the source material.

4. Are there any real-life objects that can be compared to the sizes in the video?

Yes, the video includes a comparison to real-life objects such as the Eiffel Tower and the Burj Khalifa to give a better understanding of the massive scale of these science fiction ships and structures.

5. Is this video suitable for all ages?

Yes, this video is suitable for all ages. However, some younger viewers may find some of the fictional content intense or frightening.