Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

VOTE - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Poll closed Sep 24, 2006.
  1. GeoMike

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. larkspur

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Janus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. cyrusabdollahi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. scorpa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. hypatia

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. ZapperZ

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  8. Ivan Seeking

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. turbo-1

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Sep 19, 2006 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Another terrific set of pictures by everyone involved. Well done! This will be another tough contest to vote on.

1. GeoMike
    [​IMG]

2. larkspur
    [​IMG]

3. Janus
    [​IMG]

4. cyrusabdollahi
    [​IMG]

5. scorpa
    [​IMG]

6. hypatia
    [​IMG]

7. ZapperZ
    [​IMG]

8. Ivan Seeking
    [​IMG]

9. turbo-1
    [​IMG]

Contest thread.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2
    I vote for Turbo-1. That's the best picture in this thread.

4. Sep 19, 2006 #3
    I had to go with Zz's on this one, I could almost feel the G's in it.

5. Sep 19, 2006 #4
    I have to go with Turbo to, he caught that perfectly!

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5
    turbo gets my vote too. I saw it for the first time in the poll and it immediately won my vote.

7. Sep 19, 2006 #6
    turbo's pic was great, but I went with Zz's.

8. Sep 19, 2006 #7
    Had to say Zz's, that pic is so cool. (Though it would look better if that crap was cropped off the ends)

9. Sep 20, 2006 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I voted for GeoMike. I like ZZ's pic, and my own (I do love steam locomotives!), but GeoMike's pic not only captured the cog railway in all it's cartoonish glory, but captured the above-the-treeline ecology of Mt. Washington. Plus his picture of the cog railway was 'way better than the ones that I took. Hint: download his picture and rotate it clockwise at least 5 degrees, so that the uprights under the trestle are vertical. That is one STEEP grade.

10. Sep 22, 2006 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Larkspur's pic was gorgeous, but ZZ's is just incredible!

11. Sep 22, 2006 #10
    I went with hypatia. Those cars are so shiny and cool!

12. Sep 22, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I liked them all, but ended up going with hypatia, both because those cars just look like so much fun, and for having the most automobiles in one shot (yeah, that's what I had to resort to in order to pick just one; these were all quite fun).

13. Sep 23, 2006 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Just a reminder that you have one day left to vote in this contest, if you haven't done so already.

Zz.

14. Sep 23, 2006 #13
    Gee I would have thought I would have gotten at least a point for having a truck, bike and mini crane in the pic! LOL J/K I know the pic quality was crap, but I didnt have time to get a good pic. I wish I had had my camera with me that day the street was lined with Ferrari's and Lamboughinis for the races...but I never have it with me when I really need it :rolleyes:

Get your votes in guys! Congrats to everyone on the quality of pics.

15. Sep 23, 2006 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Yesterday, my wife and her sister parked their car in Unity at the train station and rode the train to the Common Ground Fair. Yes, the same train in my entry. The Common Ground Fair is put on by the Maine Organic Farmers and Growers Association, the oldest and largest such association in the country.

http://www.mofga.org/TheFair/tabid/135/Default.aspx

16. Sep 23, 2006 #15
    I went with Turbo-1. Old steam engines are great, and that's a great shot of one!

-GeoMike-

17. Sep 23, 2006 #16
    Yeah, I can hear that train going chhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuphhffff ttttttssssssss.........chuuuuuphhhhfff ttttttsssssssssssssssss............ka-clack, ka-clack :approve:

Ok, yeah, I had to make those sound effects, but you all already know im childish so what does it matter?

18. Sep 23, 2006 #17

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and sister-in-law really enjoyed the train ride. A round-trip ticket was $10 and the train went to the fair and returned to the station once each hour. Between the novelty of the train ride, not having to pay for parking, and not having to park in crowded lots at the fair and walk a long way to get to the grounds, they got their money's worth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?