What Are Current Issues Whose Answers Lie in Physics?

In summary, the individual has decided to pursue a career in physics and chemistry with a focus on helping people. They are not interested in biology and are wondering if there are any current problems in the world that can be solved by physics or chemistry. Some potential areas for application include desalination of ocean water, renewable energy sources, recycling methods, and advancements in prosthetics and medical devices.
Daine
I have decided that I want to pursue a career in physics and chemistry. It is very important to me that my career helps people. While I know that there are current testing and research being done for cures and treatments to numerous diseases, I don' think that biology is the field for me. Thus I was wondering if there are any current problems in the world that need to be solved by physics or chemistry. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess there are many. The question is by its nature to a large extend a question about engineering. Some which might become urgent in the near future is to desalinate ocean water without the huge amount of energy current systems use, build more and better tidal power plants, substitute oil based polymers, remove our trash in orbit and oceans, energy storage systems, find new resources of certain elements (e.g. by improved recycling methods), better predictions and avoidance of celestial collisions with earth, the construction of giant dike systems, quantum computing, etc. And these are only the ones, which are more or less obvious. Many more will arise as times go by.

Likes Daine, Logical Dog and symbolipoint
just about everything. Physics is THE central science! I have read about physics and mathematicians work and research, on problems about terrorism, social stuff (economics, pscyhology) apart from the usual science and engineering things. The fact is if you study physics, engineering or math, you can go a lot of places, especially if you break through to research/Phd level. But these might just be the success stories that I have seen.

sincerely, a wannabe Logician and mathematician.

- LD.

Last edited:
Likes Daine
Thank you so much for your insight, everyone. It is greatly appreciated!

Daine said:
I have decided that I want to pursue a career in physics and chemistry. It is very important to me that my career helps people. While I know that there are current testing and research being done for cures and treatments to numerous diseases, I don' think that biology is the field for me. Thus I was wondering if there are any current problems in the world that need to be solved by physics or chemistry. Thank you for your time.
Welcome to the PF.

You might look at current cutting edge research and development in the Biological Engineering and Medical Physics fields.

There has been a lot of progress in interfacing prosthetic limbs to the human nervous system, for example, and in efforts to restore sight and hearing with devices interfaced to the human nervous system. Very important work, and those projects would seem to need help in the fields that you are interested in studying. :smile:

1. What are some current issues that can be explained by physics?

Some current issues that can be explained by physics include climate change, renewable energy sources, the spread of infectious diseases, and the development of new technologies.

2. How does physics contribute to our understanding of these issues?

Physics helps us understand these issues by providing a framework for studying and analyzing complex systems, such as the Earth's climate or the human body. It also allows us to make predictions and develop solutions based on scientific principles.

3. Can physics be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, physics is often used to solve real-world problems. For example, physicists have developed models and simulations to study climate change and predict its future impacts. They have also helped design and improve renewable energy technologies to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.

4. How can the general public benefit from understanding the physics behind current issues?

Understanding the physics behind current issues can help the general public make informed decisions and take action to address these issues. It can also promote critical thinking and scientific literacy, enabling individuals to evaluate and understand the information presented by the media and policymakers.

5. What are some ways that individuals can contribute to solving these issues through physics?

Individuals can contribute to solving these issues through physics by staying informed and supporting scientific research and advancements. They can also make changes in their daily lives, such as reducing their carbon footprint or supporting renewable energy sources, to help address these issues on a smaller scale.