What Are Some Research Questions for an IB Physics Essay on Waves?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
jenny tales
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
hi I'm currently in yr 12 in my first year of the IB diploma studying higher physics. i have chosen to complete my 4000 wrd essay in this subject, but i can't think of a suitable research question. The essay can either be a simple written essay or an investigation/experiment.
i would like to do it on the topic of 'waves' but any suggestions are welcome

some examples:

-does the frequency of light affect the resolution of the eye
-can background radiation be reduced by screening
-wind power: a clean source of energy?

please, any physics-related ideas are much appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
i would do deep investigation of wave equation and heat equation if possible.
 
jenny tales said:
hi I'm currently in yr 12 in my first year of the IB diploma studying higher physics. i have chosen to complete my 4000 wrd essay in this subject, but i can't think of a suitable research question. The essay can either be a simple written essay or an investigation/experiment.
i would like to do it on the topic of 'waves' but any suggestions are welcome

some examples:

-does the frequency of light affect the resolution of the eye
-can background radiation be reduced by screening
-wind power: a clean source of energy?

please, any physics-related ideas are much appreciated!


When I did my extended essay I originally wanted to do something on General Relativity vs Newtonian Gravity (I was ambitious), but I actually wound up doing mine on post-independence mexican history.


As for something in "waves" what do you mean? Wave mechanics (schroedinger equation)? Oscillators? Your choice of topic is really going to depend on your current ability in this field, and you're working on deadline too, which is something to consider. If your math background is only IB Math HL, your choices are limited, though probably not horrendously so.