What do thread prefixes mean on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter paulalex7000
  • Start date
In summary, thread prefixes on Physics Forums are labels that indicate the topic or category of a thread. They are used to help organize and categorize discussions on the forum, making it easier for users to find relevant threads and participate in discussions on specific topics. Thread prefixes can also help moderators and administrators manage the forum and ensure that discussions are posted in the appropriate sections. Overall, thread prefixes play an important role in maintaining the structure and organization of Physics Forums.
paulalex7000
How did you find PF?
Googling various astronomy topics
Hello, just checking this site out. New Member info indicated I should partake in this 'new member' thread. So here I am. I intend just to lurk, and learn and read about cool stuff, especially about the mind-boggling power of this GRB221009A... In fact, something an astronomer wrote back in 2007 about GRBs led me to this site. She wrote a very good article.

I'm very new to this site. Been spending quite a few minutes trying to find the FAQ on posting. I noticed subjects are prefaced with 'b' or 'i' or some other alphabetic character. From reading some other post, I gather 'b' is Basic. Does that mean if you have a complete layman question about some event or object, it should be prefaced with that?

• Love
Likes berkeman and Chenkel
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

Have fun and stay curious!

Likes Chenkel and paulalex7000
Welcome to PF. :smile:

paulalex7000 said:
From reading some other post, I gather 'b' is Basic. Does that mean if you have a complete layman question about some event or object, it should be prefaced with that?
The thread prefix letter let's you specify at what level you would like the discussion to be in that thread:

** B = Basic, mostly high school level discussion

** I = Intermediate, including undergraduate university level discussion

** A = Advanced, including graduate level university discussion and beyond

Not all sub-forums use the thread prefix tool, but most of the technical Physics forums use them. When you start a new thread in whichever forum (by typing a thread title in the empty thread form at the top of that forum), you will see if there is a pull-down menu to the left of the title that let's you set the prefix.

:smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:The thread prefix letter let's you specify at what level you would like the discussion to be in that thread:

** B = Basic, mostly high school level discussion

** I = Intermediate, including undergraduate university level discussion

** A = Advanced, including graduate level university discussion and beyond

Not all sub-forums use the thread prefix tool, but most of the technical Physics forums use them. When you start a new thread in whichever forum (by typing a thread title in the empty thread form at the top of that forum), you will see if there is a pull-down menu to the left of the title that let's you set the prefix.

:smile:
Thanks!

Likes dlgoff and berkeman