What does Alain Connes think of Tegmark's hypothesis?

In summary, Alain Connes, a mathematician and mathematical physicist, believes in Platonism and that mathematics exists on the same level as physical reality, similar to Max Tegmark's Mathematical Universe hypothesis. However, it is unclear if Connes has commented on Tegmark's views.
Suekdccia
The mathematician and mathematical physicist Alain Connes has expressed in many occasions that he is a Platonism and he thinks that mathematics itself does exist in the same level (or even in a "stronger" level) as physical reality.

This is very similar to Max Tegmark's hypothesis of the Mathematical Universe (MUH), which basically says that every mathematically possible structure exists as its own universe.

Since both approaches are almost identical, I was wondering if Connes has ever commented anything on Tegmark's views. I cannot find anything on the Internet, but since both ways of thinking are almost the same, it seems strange to me that Connes has not said anything about it. Does anyone know if Connes has commented anything on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you confuse the philosophical point of view with models that describe the universe according to what I found on the internet. I do not see how these two match in such a specific way.

Since we do not discuss philosophy on PF - there are more specialized places on the internet - this thread is closed.

1. What is Alain Connes' opinion on Tegmark's hypothesis?

Alain Connes has not publicly shared his opinion on Tegmark's hypothesis. Therefore, it is not clear what his stance is on the matter.

2. Has Alain Connes commented on Tegmark's hypothesis?

No, Alain Connes has not commented on Tegmark's hypothesis. He has not published any papers or given any talks discussing Tegmark's work.

3. Is Alain Connes in support of Tegmark's hypothesis?

There is no evidence to suggest that Alain Connes supports Tegmark's hypothesis. Without any public statements or publications from Connes himself, it is impossible to determine his stance on the matter.

4. What does Alain Connes think of Tegmark's ideas?

Alain Connes has not publicly expressed his thoughts on Tegmark's ideas. It is unknown what his thoughts are on the subject.

5. Has Alain Connes engaged in any discussions with Tegmark regarding his hypothesis?

There is no record of Alain Connes engaging in discussions with Tegmark about his hypothesis. They may have had private conversations, but there is no public evidence of this.