What is the maximum unsupported length for standard W beams in crane design?

  • Thread starter Thread starter itscolfax
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 501 views
itscolfax
I just was hired as a junior engineer at a crane manufacturer. My boss asked me to determine the maximum length without a cap of each standard W beam we use. I know long slender beams fail by lateral torsional buckling. I guess I need to find at what length at a given load will a beam fail in this manner. Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, this is a forum for new members to introduce themselves here at PF.

In case you haven't noticed, there are several different technical forums and HW forums available for posting questions like these at PF.

Please post your question in one of these forums. Also, post it in just one forum, please, since multiple posting of the same problem is against the rules at PF .

Good Luck!