What is the other axis in molecule XeF4's D4h character table?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter vatlychatran
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axes Molecule
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
vatlychatran
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I consider a square planar molecule such as XeF4, Xe atom is at the center, F atoms are at the corners of a square. In the character table of D4h group that XeF4 belongs to, I see that there are two C4 axes but I only can find one that goes through the Xe atom and is perpendicular to the XeF4 plane. Could you tell me the other axis? Thanks a lot.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I should change my question. Could you explain for me the number "2" in "2C4(z)" of the D4h character table (first row, third column in the attached figure)? Thanks a lot.
 
Attachments
  • D4h.jpg
    D4h.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 10,113