What is the smallest set of equations from which all of physics could be derived?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter learypost
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fundamental
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
learypost
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
What would be the most fundamental equations in physics? For example, I know that all of electrodynamics can be obtained from Maxwell's Equations; therefore, Maxwell's Equations would be a complete set of the most fundamental equations of EM. However, something like PV=nRT can be derived from other equations of motion so it is not a fundamental equation.

In other words, what is the smallest set of equations from which all of physics could be recovered? Kind of like the equivalent of the ZFC Set Theory axioms (from which, in theory, all of math can be derived) but for physics. I would guess that it would be the Einstein Equation and some equations of the Standard Model.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As kind of a follow up, what would be the most fundamental constants? For example, c, μo, and εo would not all be include since anyone can be derived from the other two.
 
learypost said:
As kind of a follow up, what would be the most fundamental constants? For example, c, μo, and εo would not all be include since anyone can be derived from the other two.


I don't know, but I have done Google searches on "fundamental constants" that gave me the answers.
 
I would say all three of Newton's Laws could be obtained from [itex]F = \frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T}[/itex] so it would be pretty fundamental.
 
JHamm said:
I would say all three of Newton's Laws could be obtained from [itex]F = \frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T}[/itex] so it would be pretty fundamental.

But Newton's Laws aren't valid. You have to use relativity, that's why I suggested Einstein's Equations.