Mitchell, What Wilczek had to say about axions was certainly interesting. I agree with you that it got a bit intricate at places. At least he was explicit and clear about ways to test---especially to falsify, but also as he said potentially to "truthify". I liked it that the theoretical proposals were geared to observation---he stressed that what he was bringing forward was
timely, in that sense.
I want to stress that the topic of the first 40% of his talk was "quantitative unification" (abbreviate Q.U.?). This is a three-way unification program (he mentioned the goal of "one material and one force" instead of 6 materials and three forces.) It leaves gravity for later. He argues that the Standard Model is begging for this kind of threeway unification and that the means are now at hand.
He made the point that the various proposals for Q.U. which he didn't have time to list in detail--I recall he mentioned SU(5) and SO(10)--- were timely given the LHC and expected/current cosmology observations---I noticed he repeatedly linked HEP and cosmology.
I was reminded in this connection of a recent Ohwilleke post, which I think raises some of what Wilczek would have included among the various "truthworthy" Q.U. proposals he referred to. Proposals that are "plausible and accessible" (his criterion for appropriate theory.)
In case it can help fill in Wilczek's picture of Q.U., here is Ohwilleke's post from yesterday:
==quote==
I've been really impressed with the progress that can be made within the Standard Model with a quite minor extension to include four rather than three generations of Standard Model fermions, something that makes possible something very close to unificiation without elaborate and undiscovered SUSY particles or extra dimensions within existing experimental boundaries using nothing more elaborate than an SU(5) framework.
It is one of the most straight foward ways to explain excess CP violation where it is observed and also comports with evidence from the MINOS conference by two different methodologies supporting the existing of more than three generations of neutrinos. P.Q. Hung has made this point in a number of articles among the earliest of which is this one:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9712338 entitled "Minimal SU(5) Resuscitated by Long-Lived Quarks and Leptons." In this scenario: "SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) gauge couplings converge to a common point of approximately 3.5x10^{15} GeV (corresponding to a proton lifetime of approximately 10^{34 plus/minus 1} years)." Updates to this original insight in this 1997 paper by Hung have been made by Hung and others to reflect theoretical refinements and new experimental data at least as recently as 2011 in this paper:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.3997
An example of how this framework could explain excess CP violation in B and kaon decay is found at
http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.2634
Along the same lines, a five generation model could explain neutrino mass in a satisfactory way.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1106.0415
I am also impressed with the prospects for finding links between the CKM and PMNS mixing matrixes and the masses of the fermions (perhaps via relationships between the square roots of these masses), that could give us better insights into the fundamentals at work in both of these constants, as explored, for example, in this doctoral dissertation: http://cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/upload/theses/phd/goffinet.pdf
==========
For my convenience in checking these out, I changed some links to get abstracts rather than PDFs.