What type of physicist should I become for a high-paying and exciting career?

  • Thread starter Thread starter neutronstar11
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Path Which path

which one?

  • nuclear physicist

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • theoretical physicist

    Votes: 1 50.0%

  • Total voters
    2
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
neutronstar11
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
which path should I choose??

what career should I choose? a theoretical physicist or a nuclear physicist? I want one that pays good, but mainly which one would be more exciting, I like both of them very much, I wouldn't mind either, just the one that pays a good salary, and is the most exciting. Thanks!:biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org


If you are all so interested in money, open a business or go to law school. Few physicists get rich.
 


lol, I think perhaps you should decide via a more personal method. Talk to your professors/academic advisers about what career you might want to pursue. And depending on what level of education your at, there might be quite a bit of time to decide.

Also nuclear physics can be theoretical physicists, so they are not mutually exclusive...

As for getting more money, my high school physics teacher got a masters in nuclear physics and became a nuclear engineer for a while before she became a teacher and probably made more money that way than, say, going into a PhD program and getting a grad student salary :P
 


Are you sure you know what a physicist truly does? You are asking the wrong question. You will need to choose a particular branch of physics (nuclear, condensed matter, particle, etc). A separate issue is whether you wish to pursue theoretical or experimental research.