1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where could i go after bachelor's degree

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    After obtaining bachelor's degree, i would like to continue my studies abroad (and I'm from Poland). I'm really interested in math/physics and highly motivated to get PhD in future - this is my aim.

I'm looking for as prestige (and by prestige i mean best conditions for studying and stuff like that) as possible, in english-speaking country from EU.

I can't afford to fund study by myself, with is very important (Cambridge may be awesome, but that doesn't matter if i won't be able to pay for my expenses). My only asset(trump?) is high motivation and passion :>

And what i'm interested in is being Theoretician Physicst.

I'm looking for anything, that could be helppful in my situation.

resuming: I'm poor and motivated. Studing in poland atm, but want to leave country after bachelor's degree. My aim is getting PhD(abroad). And waiting for your advices.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2

eri

From what I've heard from friends in the UK and Europe, it's easier to get funding to studying for your PhD in the US than in Europe. And we have a lot more institutions with lower standards if your motivation doesn't include fantastic grades or publications (although you'll still need good grades).

4. Nov 14, 2009 #3
    I still need to get Master. or go to studies that cover master's degree and lead you straight to PhD. Anyway, im not planning to make PhD AFTER bachelor's, i'm going to need atleast 2 more years of education.

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4
    From our point of view cost of living and education in UK/US is insane so I wouldn't go there now. As far as I know there are at least 2 interesting MSc programs (not in english-speaking countries but taught in english). First is in Utrecht (physics and research oriented) and 2nd is in LMU (math oriented):

http://www.uu.nl/EN/informationfor/internationalstudents/theoreticalphysics/Pages/study.aspx"

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/TMP/index.html" [Broken]

However I would still ask for an advice someone who is knowledgeable in this matter - living in western europe is still expensive (about 800 - 1000 € per month) and maybe doing MSc abroad won't increase your chance for getting accepted into high-ranked PhD program. If you have any questions pm.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Nov 24, 2009 #5
    Dublin has a few good universities. Theres plenty of Polish people here too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook