1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where should i go?/

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1
    where should i go???/

I am a person from India
    i have deep interest intersest in robotic and robo modelling
    how should i develop my skills in this field
    what option career wise suits me best
    where is the best school to study this...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2
    Re: where should i go???/

every kind of reply and help is appreciated

4. Jul 16, 2009 #3

Dude, the best field for robotics is Mechanical Engineering (Sub-Branch: ROBOTICS). I don't know about India a lot so you better ask your professors for the suggestion of best institute in INDIA.

Skill developing can be improved by reading research articles, in general.

Peace!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  5. Jul 16, 2009 #4

okay not in India,elsewhere????

6. Jul 16, 2009 #5

If I were you then I would have certaily chosen M.I.T America for such a field.

No university in the world is better in technology then it.

BUT, it depends on your financial resources and of course, your abilities.

GOOD LUCK

7. Jul 16, 2009 #6

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I don't know if I understand you correctly, but suggesting that MIT is the only place to go if you want an undergraduate education involving robotics is completely wrong. Most big science / technical universities in Canada and the US / Europe should allow you to take the following, which should, depending on the options you choose, give you varying degrees of exposure to robotics, or the elements involved in robotics:
    1) Electrical Engineering (electronics / robotics / controls / sensors / basic programming)
    2) Mechanical Engineering (design / controls)
    3) Computer Science (programming / vision / AI etc.)

Some places will (usually through one of Mechanical or Electrical Engineering) offer an undergraduate degree with specialization in robotics. My own university did not have this, but it *did* have an undergraduate student-run extracurricular group that designed robots for a robotics competition (the Intelligent Ground Vehicle Competition). Most of my exposure / work on robotics came in this fashion. Other Universities will have groups that design for other competitions, or the DARPA Grand Challenge, or the Aerial Robotics Competition, or some such.

Focusing on robotics often happens at the Graduate and research level. Many schools have faculty in engineering / computer science working on various aspects of robotics, and that's where you really do every-day work on and with robots. As an undergraduate, you can take part in summer / part-time research with the Research Groups that work in this field, and gain extracurricular experience / knowledge working with robots. That's where going to a school with a strong robotics research program is beneficial, even as an undergraduate (for instance, McGill's Centre for Intelligent Machines, or the Carnagie-Mellon Robotics Institute):
    http://www.cim.mcgill.ca
    http://www.ri.cmu.edu

You will need to do your research to find schools that offer these things, amongst the other things you're seeking in an undergraduate school. If you are looking for a graduate school, you'll be facing stiff competition from many Iranian and Chinese (and sometimes Indian) graduate students who not only have electrical / mechanical engineering / computer science degrees, but often specialization and experience in control systems and robotics.

EDIT: Just for clarification, are you looking for Undergraduate, or Graduate schools?

8. Jul 16, 2009 #7

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Additionally, I found this page when I did a Google search for robotics university india, listing Universities in India that offer courses in robotics:
    http://www.indiaedu.com/career-courses/robotics-course [Broken]

And really, nothing is better for doing robotics, than, well, doing robotics (as a hobby):
    http://www.roboticsindia.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Jul 16, 2009 #8

how can i have a career in robotics?
    i mean,is there a thing like robotic engineer or robotic scientist

10. Jul 17, 2009 #9

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Who do you think builds the robots in the first place, and makes them work?

See my advice above; you're probably going to be a mechanical or electrical engineer, or guy with a computer science / mathematics degree. If you want to pursue academia (or spend a few years in graduate school), you can do research IN robotics (things like control systems, artificial intelligence, novel means of propulsion, etc.)

11. Jul 17, 2009 #10

has no one mentioned mechatronic engineering? I always thought mechatronics was THE robotics undergrad.

12. Jul 17, 2009 #11

You do not have to go abroad. I heard the Indian technical institutes are great. Though, they can be very selective.

13. Jul 18, 2009 #12

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

As I say, some places will offer specialization within the EE or MecE programs, but I think very few have a separate and dedicated robotics program (but you can probably find one if you look hard enough). Though it'll probably be the same thing as the specialization programs with its own name.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook