Should I learn American or British English for physics research and travel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hager mahdy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
68 replies · 10K views
hager mahdy
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
hi
my name is hager
iam from egypt
please help me iam very despair

i want to ask you aquestion

whats the better to learn american english or british english
i want to be searcher in physics and to travel abroad

and in my whole life

whats honestly the better thing to me please help me?

without prejudice


thaaaaank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the same. Just learn some English please. I think it is forbidden to post here in a language different from it and in an incomprehensible manner.
 
I don't believe it matters what English you choose to use.

And Dickfore, its not forbidden, it is just easier if we all understand each other.
 
I have no idea if I use British or American English. I try to be consistent and use American spelling of "*or" instead of "*our" to save on vovels, but that's all.
 
Like others have said, it doesn't matter. The differences are very small, Yanks understand Brits and vice versa with little difficulty.

Just don't learn the Scottish accent, no one can understand it. I'm almost convinced they don't even understand each other, they've been faking it for centuries :wink:.
 
The problem with British English is that they use the wrong words for some things. Instead of elevator or apartment, they say lift or flat. They also mispell words. Instead of color or flavor, they write colour our flavour. Finally, their accent is funny. You don't want to end up sounding like the gecko. Therefore, here is what I advise. See how many language schools in Cairo teach American English, and how many teach British English. If there is big difference, go with the larger number.
 
i had no idea people made the distinction between the two.

I guess there must also be southern american english, New Yorker english, midwestern american english, and so on...

seems ridiculous to me.
 
hager mahdy said:
whats the better to learn american english or british english
It depends what journal you will be submitting your work to :-p In reality I don't think it really matters, as long that you understand what the differences are (color vs colour).

My internet browser has a spelling checker built-in and it uses American English as a reference. I think it is very handy, it regularly alerts me that my spelling is off :smile:
 
The biggest difference between the American and British version of English is the accent.

If a person from any other country learns to speak English they are most likely to have an accent peculiar to their own first language.

My daughter-in-law is from England and I have to tell her to speak slower. She usually leaves out a consonant in the middle of the word, especially r's and t's.
 
edward said:
My daughter-in-law is from England and I have to tell her to speak slower. She usually leaves out a consonant in the middle of the word, especially r's and t's.

She wouldn't be from Yorkshire would she?
 
Kurdt said:
Definitely British. :smile:

Seconded.


Lol Lisa; 'they've been faking it for centuries'
 
lisab said:
Just don't learn the Scottish accent, no one can understand it. I'm almost convinced they don't even understand each other, they've been faking it for centuries :wink:.

Irish is the worst, they can go on for ages without breathing and don't appear to have said anything.

Could always try going for a Glasgow accent, think of it as "learning to communicate with whales".
Jimmy Snyder said:
The problem with British English is that they use the wrong words for some things. Instead of elevator or apartment, they say lift or flat. They also mispell words. Instead of color or flavor, they write colour our flavour. Finally, their accent is funny. You don't want to end up sounding like the gecko. Therefore, here is what I advise. See how many language schools in Cairo teach American English, and how many teach British English. If there is big difference, go with the larger number.

Wrong words? I'm taking that whole paragraph as a joke. On that note though, I'd be more concerned about most Americans pronounciation issues, such as aluminium without the final i (aluminum)? Or nuclear as nukular?
Kurdt said:
She wouldn't be from Yorkshire would she?

Definitely. Where "the" is pronounced "t'"!

I'm Welsh, definitely not an accent you want to adopt. Go with the classic movie english guy accent and you can go around sounding like all the classic bad guys!

This whole "in despair" rubbish, I'd let it go, not exactly a major problem and definitely not something you should be in despair about. You obviously know *some* English so I'd just build on what you have.
 
Last edited:
jarednjames said:
...

Wrong words? I'm taking that whole paragraph as a joke. On that note though, I'd be more concerned about most Americans pronounciation issues, such as aluminium without the final i (aluminum)? Or nuclear as nukular?

...

new-clear.jpg


:biggrin:

On topic:

I don't think it matters either way, hager. Learn whichever one is the most accessible to you; as others have pointed out, the differences between the two are negligible.
 
Last edited:
British English makes you sound posher... but either way find a teacher who speaks clear english.
 
nucleargirl said:
British English makes you sound posher... but either way find a teacher who speaks clear english.

Depends on the accent. I'm Welsh and sound distinctly not posh.

Only the upper/ upper-middle class English makes you sound posh. (Most people describe you as a 'snob' if you sound like that. (Sorry if anyone here has said accent, but it's true).
 
I'll advise the OP to go for the Geordie accent! :devil: Ops, I mean o:)

:biggrin:
 
drizzle said:
I'll advise the OP to go for the Geordie accent! :devil: Ops, I mean o:)

:biggrin:

Seconded! :-p
 
jarednjames said:
Depends on the accent. I'm Welsh and sound distinctly not posh.

Only the upper/ upper-middle class English makes you sound posh. (Most people describe you as a 'snob' if you sound like that. (Sorry if anyone here has said accent, but it's true).

It's funny how we associate certain aspects to those with accents. My upper-division classical mechanics prof was from the US South, and wow did he have a *very* twangy drawl. I hate to stereotype but Southern accents aren't normally accociated with physics professors...I know, a total typecast.

He pronounced "kinetic energy" so strangely. The first "i" in kinetic was long, and he said energy as if it didn't have the letter "e". Like, "KY-net-ic INN-i-gee". Never heard it pronounced that way by anyone else, and I can still hear his voice in my head.
 
Last edited:
Feynman had a strong Brooklyn accent and a voice that sounded like Ed Norton from the Honeymooners.
 
Kurdt said:
She wouldn't be from Yorkshire would she?

Yep she is.
 
Pinu7 said:
American English, we won more wars.

Not true. You must be confused as to how the British Empire was developed...
 
Pinu7 said:
American English, we won more wars.

How do you suppose the British Empire was formed and expanded?

To the OP:
It doesn't really matter whether you learn British or American English, for the most part, it is the same, it's only words like elevator and lift where there is any real difference, as well as some spelling and pronunciation. Although I must suggest you try and develop a Sheffield accent, its not as strong as some of the other Yorkshire dialects, and you'll sound like Sean Bean.
 
OMG, OMG, I know exactly what stereotypes to call on here:


Speaking American English will make you lazy and careless

Speaking British English will make you uptight and stuffy
 
Pinu7 said:
American English, we won more wars.

Well, not exactly... but I'm sure we're the most powerful military nation right now.
 
G037H3 said:
Not true. You must be confused as to how the British Empire was developed...

We were peopled by, as well as part of the british empire. So one could say we also had claim to those wars, as well as the win where we separated and formed the US which would put us one up. :)
 
Jasongreat said:
We were peopled by, as well as part of the british empire. So one could say we also had claim to those wars, as well as the win where we separated and formed the US which would put us one up. :)

I don't think so. You split from the British (and others) to show you weren't a part of their great global empire. So to claim a part of something you deliberately left doesn't quite work. Fact is, the Brits were the dogs b******s for a while.

The Brits ruled the oceans for a good stint and to argue otherwise is futile. I will say though, America is definitely the most powerful nation at the moment (until China gets going).