Why do golf balls have dimples?

• Thread starter Mohammad_
  • Start date
Mohammad_
Hey there ! Well, I'm new here ,and there is a simple question that i just faced with : why golf balls have holes
on their surface ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on my memory they are to make the ball go farther.

Likes Mohammad_
tommyxu3 said:
Based on my memory they are to make the ball go farther.
Thanks ! But, do you know how ?

It may be complicated to make the maximal effect, which is regarding the fluid mechanics. Maybe you can pose it on the physics forum and share others with your own opinions?

Likes Mohammad_
tommyxu3 said:
It may be complicated to make the maximal effect, which is regarding the fluid mechanics. Maybe you can pose it on the physics forum and share others with your own opinions?
Owk thank you !

No questions or discussions are allowed in this section, this is Introductions Only. Please post your question in the proper forum.

Related to Why do golf balls have dimples?

1. Why do golf balls have dimples?

Golf balls have dimples to reduce drag and help the ball travel farther. The dimples create a thin layer of turbulent air around the ball, which reduces the drag force acting on it. This allows the ball to fly through the air more efficiently, resulting in longer distances.

2. How do dimples on a golf ball affect its trajectory?

The dimples on a golf ball create lift, which allows the ball to stay in the air longer and travel farther. The dimples also help to stabilize the ball in flight, reducing the effects of wind and other external forces. This results in a more consistent and predictable trajectory.

3. Do all golf balls have the same number of dimples?

No, golf balls can have varying numbers of dimples. The standard number of dimples on a golf ball is between 300-500, but some balls may have more or less depending on their design and intended use. However, the overall effect of the dimples on the ball's performance remains the same.

4. Why are the dimples on a golf ball arranged in a specific pattern?

The dimples on a golf ball are arranged in a specific pattern for aerodynamic purposes. The pattern is designed to create the most efficient airflow around the ball, reducing drag and creating lift. Different dimple patterns may also affect the spin and trajectory of the ball.

5. Do dimples affect the spin of a golf ball?

Yes, dimples can affect the spin of a golf ball. The dimples create a turbulent layer of air around the ball, which can increase or decrease the amount of spin depending on the ball's design. This spin can affect the ball's trajectory and how it reacts when it hits the ground or other surfaces.