Why do I close my eyes when the camera flashes but others don't?

  • Thread starter Thread starter waht
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Eyes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 10K views
waht
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
4
Whenever I have my picture taken, the flash of the camera blinds me. I close my eyes as a result (involuntarily) and come out with the eyes closed in the photograph while other people in the same picture maintain open eyes. This happens all the time.

Is there any way to help this situation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It might also be a reaction to being startled.
 
Welcome to my club! My family has many photos of me, from the time I was very little, with my eyes closed.
 
Evo said:
It might also be a reaction to being startled.

I usually try to smile when posing.

hypatia said:
Welcome to my club! My family has many photos of me, from the time I was very little, with my eyes closed.

what did you do about it?

tim_lou said:
wear sun glasses and close your eyes?

what about without the sun glasses?
 
The picture is supposed to be taken the exact instant there is a flash, so your eye muscle reflexes must be extreme. Try lowering exposure time on the camera, and in the same time decreasing (or was it increasing?) f-stop.
 
Happens to me too. Takes me ages to get a picture of me without my eyes closed if I'm doing it myself so its nothing to do with startling with me. I don't know if there is much that can be done.
 
some cameras have a redeye reducer that sends out a flash just before the photo flash. it makes your eyeballs jump.
 
Just tell people to shut off red eye reduction so that there's only one flash.
 
Shine a flashlight in your eyes moments before the photo is taken. Then the camera flash should not be such a surprise to your retinae.