1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would it be worth for 12-16 months internship

1. Apr 12, 2007 #1
    I would like to know if it would be worthwhile to put my school on hold (for about a year) after my 3rd year of electrical engineering and to work in a student internship, as posted below.
    thanks to all! :smile:

POSITION SUMMARY

The successful candidate will be an integral member of the team and will investigate new location based technologies. We are looking for a creative individual who is passionate about what they do and can envision the future. This position is a great learning opportunity limited only by the enthusiasm of the individual. We encourage our students to try to tackle all aspects of a project including: research of emerging technologies, component research and definition, schematic design, PCB design, low level s/w driver development and design validation.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2007 #2
    I say yes, any type of work experience is more important.

4. Apr 12, 2007 #3
    I agree with coffee. Work experience is good for the CV and invaluable as a development tool for yourself as well. Who knows, might even make your next year at school easier too.

5. Apr 12, 2007 #4
    I also agree with this:
    Who knows, might even make your next year at school easier too.

I'll be gone for a year, summer and fall, back in the spring so I haven't experienced it yet. But my friend did a co-op last year and he is doing awesome in class now. He says he loves it because he actually knows now why he is learning what he is learning in classes.

If I know I'm learning something that I can actually apply out in the real world it makes me that much more likely to want to do well in it.

6. Apr 12, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Mr. Coffee, it looks like you have almost convinced yourself that this is the right thing to do. Just in case two more words might tip the scales: DO IT.

Sturgeon's Law (90% of everything is crud) applies to fresh-outs and to the jobs that await them. I assume you want one of few jobs that qualify as non-crud. To get such a job, you need to distinguish as one of the 10% non-crud applicants. A good internship is one of the key distinguishing features.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?