Feynman's Orange Riddle: Impossible or Not?

In summary,The book "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!" is one of the funniest and interesting books that the author has read. However, in one paragraph, Feynman is talking with some topology students about a riddle: Impossible! There ain't no such a thing. Just when they think they've got me, I remind them, "But you said an orange! You can't cut the orange peel any thinner than the atoms." This story highlights Feynman's argument that mathematicians are always trying to show that intuitive thinking will lead you astray.
Soff
I'm reading "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!" which is one of the funniest and interesting books I've ever read!

However, in one paragraph, Feynman is talking with some topology students about a riddle:

The topology students: "You've got an orange, OK? Now you cut the orange into a finite number of pieces, put it back together, and it's as big as the sun. True or false?"
"No holes?"
"No holes!"
"Impossible! There ain't no such a thing."
"Ha! We got him! Everybody gather around! It's So-and-so's theorem of immeasurable measure!"
Just when they think they've got me, I remind them, "But you said an orange! You can't cut the orange peel any thinner than the atoms."...

I understood Feynman argument, but I didn't get the idea of the theorem of immeasurable measure. How can you get an orange as big as the sun?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's related to this joke:

Q: What's an anagram of Banach-Tarski?

A: Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski.

Google for it.

The point of the story is that mathematicians are always trying to show that intuitive thinking will lead you astray. So they love coming up with examples of something you'd think should be impossible and then they "prove" it's true. Feynman's point it that if they really are honest about their definitions, things really do make sense if you just look at them the right way.

I was just reading that book, and was writing my Theory of Knowledge essay.
I also was wondering if the theorem of immeasurable measure existed and if so, what is it?
Feynman is correct in saying that the topologists asked him about splitting an orange finite number of times, so for an orange it was impossible, but as a theory it intrigued me as it could be a 'real' theory where you assume nothing.

As long as we're on the topic of Feynman, in the same book was a story of how he was able to calculate cube roots using pad and pencil faster than someone using an abacus.

Does anyone here know how to calculate cube roots on an abacus?

1. What is Feynman's Orange Riddle?

Feynman's Orange Riddle is a puzzle created by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman. It involves a series of steps that seem impossible to solve, but can actually be solved with careful observation and logical thinking.

2. Is Feynman's Orange Riddle really impossible to solve?

No, Feynman's Orange Riddle is not impossible to solve. While it may seem impossible at first, with the right approach and logical thinking, it can be solved.

3. What is the purpose of Feynman's Orange Riddle?

The purpose of Feynman's Orange Riddle is to challenge people to think outside the box and use their problem-solving skills. It also serves as a fun and engaging way to learn about logical thinking and problem-solving strategies.

4. Can anyone solve Feynman's Orange Riddle?

Yes, anyone can solve Feynman's Orange Riddle with the right approach and mindset. It does not require any specific scientific knowledge or expertise, but rather relies on logical thinking and attention to detail.

5. Are there any tips for solving Feynman's Orange Riddle?

Some tips for solving Feynman's Orange Riddle include carefully reading and following the instructions, paying attention to details, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. It can also be helpful to approach the riddle from different angles and to think outside the box.