NASA Discoveries: Neutrinos and Cosmic Fog

In summary, a NASA satellite has discovered evidence of a sea of neutrinos permeating the universe, as well as other new findings from data collected by the Wilkinson Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). This includes evidence that the first stars took over half a billion years to form, and a better understanding of the universe's rapid expansion in its early stages. The WMAP results also show that the universe is growing colder and darker, with atoms making up only 4.6% of the current universe, dark matter at 23%, and dark energy at 72%. As the universe expands, the density of matter decreases while dark energy remains constant, eventually leading to the dominance of dark energy in the universe. While there is no evidence of
SF
A NASA satellite has uncovered evidence that a sea of neutrinos, almost weightless elementary particles that zip around at nearly the speed of light, permeates the universe. The discovery is part of a treasure trove of findings gleaned from data collected by the Wilkinson Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). This includes clear evidence the first stars took more than a half billion years to create a cosmic fog and a far better understanding of the burst of expansion in the universe's fraction of a second.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S20/49/27E85/index.xml?section=science

Space news on Phys.org
SF said:
A NASA satellite has uncovered evidence that a sea of neutrinos, almost weightless elementary particles that zip around at nearly the speed of light, permeates the universe. The discovery is part of a treasure trove of findings gleaned from data collected by the Wilkinson Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). This includes clear evidence the first stars took more than a half billion years to create a cosmic fog and a far better understanding of the burst of expansion in the universe's fraction of a second.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S20/49/27E85/index.xml?section=science

From the article:

"The WMAP results also show that the universe is growing colder and darker. Atoms now make up 4.6 percent of the current universe, dark matter makes up 23 percent and dark energy makes up 72 percent, according to its measurements. The microwaves that WMAP sees come from when the universe was only 380,000 years old, when atoms made up 12 percent of the universe, dark matter made up 63 percent, photons made up 15 percent, neutrinos made up 10 percent and the dark energy was negligible."

So we have
Now:
Atoms 4.6
DM 23.0
DE 72.0
Total 99.6
0.4 photons+neutrinos?

Then:
Atoms 12.0
DM: 63.0
Photons: 15.0
Neutrinos: 10.0
DE: ~0
Total: 100.0

I assume the atoms were converted to energy in nuclear reactions. But where did the neutrinos and dark matter go? And where did the dark energy come from? Does normal matter/energy convert to dark matter/energy?

Those figures related to the fractional density of each component, so to understand them you need to think about how energy densities evolve as the Universe expands.

First think about matter. As the Universe expands the volume increases but there is no more matter produced so the density of matter drops as

[tex] \rho_m \sim \frac{1}{V} [/tex]

the volume can be expressed as the cube of the scale factor a giving

[tex] \rho_m = \rho_{m0} a^{-3}[/tex]

where [tex]\rho_0[/tex] is the density at some initial time. This applies to dark and normal matter. Some matter is obviously converted to energy in stars, but this is a very smaller fraction of the total matter and can be ignored.

Now treat radiation, the number of CMB photons stays the same but their density drops the same way as matter. In addition, the energy of each photon drops as ~1/a due to redshift leaving

[tex]\rho_r = \rho_{r0} a^{-4}[/tex]

Now, the last remaining component is dark energy. If dark energy is a cosmological constant or vacuum energy (which the data says it must be very similar to) then the density always remains the same.

What this all means is that initially the density of say matter is much more than dark energy, but as the Universe expands the density of matter drops while dark energy remains the same, leading to dark energy eventually dominating which is what we see today.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Wallace said:
Does that make sense?

Very much so, thanks for the explanation. The key to the figures, then, is the expansion of the Universe and dark energy being a cosmological constant. The rest is explained from those two assumptions, as per your equations. Thanks much!

Good morning sir,
I am not a rocket scientist,neither physicist nor mathematician,i am just a dentist who scored just a good marks in physics,chemistry,maths and biology during my school days,but despite of my profession some part of me is forcing me to this field.
As my concern is not about this issue for now i was just wondering can "Dark matter be converted into energy".
Please do reply to boost my will so that i can think more for our future and for humanity.

Regards,
Dr.Prashant k Prasad,
Dept. of oral and maxiloofacial surgery,
Christian medical college,Ludhiana.INDIA.

1. What are neutrinos and why are they important in NASA's discoveries?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have no charge and very little mass. They are important in NASA's discoveries because they can provide information about the processes happening in space, such as the formation of stars and galaxies, and the properties of dark matter and dark energy.

2. How does NASA detect neutrinos?

NASA uses special detectors, such as the IceCube Neutrino Observatory in Antarctica, to detect neutrinos. These detectors are typically located deep underground or underwater to shield them from other particles and radiation. When a neutrino interacts with the detector, it produces a tiny flash of light which is then recorded and analyzed by scientists.

3. What is cosmic fog and how does it relate to neutrinos?

Cosmic fog, also known as cosmic microwave background radiation, is a faint glow of light that fills the universe and is believed to be leftover from the Big Bang. This radiation can interact with neutrinos, providing information about the early universe and the processes that occurred during its formation.

4. Have neutrinos been detected from sources other than the sun?

Yes, NASA has detected neutrinos from various sources such as supernovas, active galaxies, and even from the Earth's atmosphere. These detections have provided valuable insights into the properties of these sources and the nature of neutrinos themselves.

5. How do NASA's discoveries about neutrinos and cosmic fog contribute to our understanding of the universe?

NASA's discoveries about neutrinos and cosmic fog have greatly contributed to our understanding of the universe. They have provided evidence for the Big Bang theory, shed light on the properties of dark matter and dark energy, and helped us understand the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies. They also continue to provide new insights and discoveries, pushing the boundaries of our knowledge about the universe.