Removing '98 Kia Sportage Car Radio

• Thread starter lax1113
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Radio
In summary: If the radio has to be replaced, a generic radio won't necessarily have the same color code or connectors.
lax1113
Hello,
I have a '98 kia sportage and recently the radio has been acting up. It works sometimes, and other times, i am left with nothing but static. It seems to work a lot more often when it is hot out, but just the fact that it works, then doesn't, makes me think that maybe something is loose, or not connected all the way. Anyway, I want to take the radio out and for lack of better terms, just screw with it. See what happens, worst that happens, radio doesn't go back in/work at all, not a big deal. Does anyone know how to remove a radio that doesn't have the 2 holes for DIN keys? that's the only kind i know how to do... and I'm hoping that i don't have to take off the whole dash, that's not worth it.

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I'd go to the dealer and ask to look at the how to book.

It could just be a lose or bad fuse. That sometimes happens in my car. Though, my radio is acting up as well and...my whole dash has to be taken off to fix it. My guess is that your dash might have to be taken off as well, but that's why you can go to a car repair man, that's what I have to do, since I know nothing about cars, lol. :biggrin:

If you remove the radio be sure to keep track of the wiring.

1998 Kia Sportage Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Light Green
Car Radio Ignition Switched 12V+ Wire: Black/Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Blue/Yellow
Car Radio Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Radio Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Radio Amplifier Trigger Wire: N/A
Front Speakers Size: 4″
Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Green
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Blue/Red
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Light Green/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Black/Green
Rear Speakers Size: 6 1/2″
Rear Speakers Location: Side Panels
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Green/Yellow
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Blue/Orange
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Green/White
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Green/Blue

Info from:

http://www.modifiedlife.com/radio-wiring-diagram-and-car-stereo-wire-diagram-1998-kia-sportage/rom:

Check the antenna connections before you remove anything.

You might find a repair manual at a public library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried parking it at one of the seedier apartment complexes and leaving the doors unlocked?

Stereos without the holes for DIN keys usually have dead narrow slots at the sides (often underneath a cover) and are removed in much the same way as the DIN key ones.

You might need special keys though, have a look on eBay for ones for your stereo.

BobG said:
Have you tried parking it at one of the seedier apartment complexes and leaving the doors unlocked?

One time I went to visit my brother. I carried two suitcases to the car and went back inside and grabbed another bag. My stereo and suitcases were gone in the time it took to get back. Couldn't have been more than two maybe three minutes.

They're very easy to take apart.

Just go to an auto store that sells how-to-books on Kia, then go to the stereo section, read how its done. Put the book back. (No need to buy it.) And then go home and do it. It's very easy. The wires are usually all lumped in one and just snap on and off. No need to label them or anything.

Not sure why someone posted a long list of wires to keep track. Probably trying to scare you.

JasonRox said:
They're very easy to take apart.

Just go to an auto store that sells how-to-books on Kia, then go to the stereo section, read how its done. Put the book back. (No need to buy it.) And then go home and do it. It's very easy. The wires are usually all lumped in one and just snap on and off. No need to label them or anything.

Not sure why someone posted a long list of wires to keep track. Probably trying to scare you.

That long list of wires is the color code for every radio wire on a 98 Kia Sportage :rolleyes:
No need to be scared just informed. It may be that most of the wires will all hook up through several snap together connectors.

If the radio has to be replaced, a generic radio won't necessarily have the same color code or connectors.

There are twelve wires, so what would you suggest JasonRox?..trial and error.

trial and error is more exciting.

Do you know if your car radio has a key code lock on it? If so, for the love of god do NOT unhook it from a battery source before you try to take it out. You have to take it out while still keeping it connected to a power source. If you don't your car radio will lock out once you install it back and hook it up to the battery again. If you don't have your key code for the radio it can be a major pain in the buttocks to get. You have to find the serial number for your radio and car, call up the manufacturer directly or contact an outside party, and pay an exorbitant fee (like $60) to get the key code. I know all of this too well from experience.

edward said:
That long list of wires is the color code for every radio wire on a 98 Kia Sportage :rolleyes:
No need to be scared just informed. It may be that most of the wires will all hook up through several snap together connectors.

If the radio has to be replaced, a generic radio won't necessarily have the same color code or connectors.

There are twelve wires, so what would you suggest JasonRox?..trial and error.

Most of the time you don't have to mess with all of the wires in the back of radios all you need to buy what is called a "car stereo harness". I installed plenty of radios in cars back when I was a teenager.

Does anyone know about Honda Civics and the radios there?? Do you really have to take out the whole dash to fix a radio? I'm not sure if the people I am going to are just telling me stuff because they know I don't know any better, lol. I would love to be able to fix it myself, rather than to take it to someone and not have my own car for a week or so.

I had a 2000 Daewoo a while back (similar to Kias). I tried to change the radio myself and had a time of it. I couldn't find a wire harness that was compatible so I wound up splicing the lines myself which took time and careful attention to wire schematics. At first I wasn't able to get it right so I just put the old radio back in. It asked for the key code and the power seemed to never connect back up to it properly so all my radio presets were always erased and every now and again I had to put the key code in again. Eventually I was able to put the new radio in but the space was too big for it and I didn't have the materials or know how to resize it to fit.

Anyhow... At a lot of places like Best Buy you can get a new stereo for about $100 or less and if you spend at least $100 they will install it for you for free. At least that's what it was the last time I was there.

The radio code is also needed everytime a battery cable is disconected. In the worst case scenario a dealership can find it using the VIN number. Edit: The dealership may need the number from the back of the radio.

For a number of years Kia used a factory code: 1111 It may still work on older Kias. The last time I used it was on a 97 Sephia.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
Most of the time you don't have to mess with all of the wires in the back of radios all you need to buy what is called a "car stereo harness". I installed plenty of radios in cars back when I was a teenager.

Gees guys I covered the multi wire connectors. I didn't take the time to look up the info on the wiring color code of kia radios just to scare the poster away from doing the fix.

There is all kinds of info available on the net, some of it you have to pay for. It is all a part of our new economy.:wink:

http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/stereoremovalKiaSportage98_03P.htm

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
Do you know if your car radio has a key code lock on it?

I wrote my code on a pop out access panel in the back of the car interior with indelible marker when I bought the car. I was afraid of this very thing.

As for stealing it, I wish someone would. It gets lousy reception.

1. How do I remove the car radio from a '98 Kia Sportage?

To remove the car radio, you will need a set of radio removal tools or a pair of thin metal pry tools. Insert the tools into the slots on either side of the radio and gently push until you feel the tools engage with the clips. Then, pull the tools outward to release the clips and the radio can be pulled out of the dashboard.

2. Do I need any special tools to remove the car radio?

Yes, you will need a set of radio removal tools or thin metal pry tools. These can be purchased at most auto parts stores or online. It is not recommended to use household tools as they may damage the radio or dashboard.

3. How long does it take to remove the car radio?

The process of removing the car radio should only take a few minutes once you have the necessary tools. However, if it is your first time removing a car radio, it may take longer as you become familiar with the process.

4. Is it difficult to remove the car radio?

The difficulty level of removing the car radio may vary depending on your level of experience and familiarity with car electronics. However, with the right tools and following the proper steps, it should not be a difficult task.

5. Are there any precautions I should take before removing the car radio?

Before removing the car radio, it is important to disconnect the negative terminal of the car battery to prevent any electrical mishaps. It is also recommended to consult the car's manual or a professional if you are unsure about any steps in the process.