Can cameras see through clothes?

• Thread starter misgfool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cameras
In summary, the conversation discusses a link to a product that claims to have x-ray vision capabilities through the use of an expensive IR filter on a camera. However, the conversation concludes that this is not a reliable method for seeing through clothes and that a THz camera is necessary for that, which is currently only used in some airports. The conversation also mentions the controversy surrounding the use of these scanners and the potential invasion of privacy. It is also noted that some cameras have been modified to have IR sensitivity, but this has caused issues with privacy and has since been discontinued. Overall, the conversation concludes that the product is likely a rip-off and not worth purchasing.
misgfool
Does anyone have any experience of this kind of optics or is this just another hoax?

http://www.davidsteele.com/X-ray-Vision-Camera-Lens-p/xr-l.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like it is just a very expensive IR filter for a camera. If so, yes it works to some extent and under the right lighting.
This, however, does not mean that you can actually "see" through clothes as if they weren't there; but you will be able to see a very tinted picture showing some of the contour of what is underneath the clothes; at least if the person is wearing e.g. a thin T-shirt.
Also, the exposure times are VERY long under ordinary light (minutes).

IR photography is pretty popular. Just google it.

If you really want to see through clothes you need a THz camera; these are just being introduced at some airports. But at the moment they work essentially like an x-ray machine; they are active devices (sending out THz radiation and looks at what is reflected). They are also very big (and very expensive).

I don't think this is a hoax. Probably a rip-off however. CCD sensors on digital cameras (and video cameras?) are as sensitive to near infrared as they are to light. This does not include the part of the spectrum you'd use for thermal vision.
Ordinary digital cameras have a 'hot mirror' which is a filter that removes most of the infrared before it reaches the sensor. Without this, the thing is pretty useless for ordinary photography. You can put an IR-pass filter over the lens to shoot in IR, but unless you replace the hot mirror with clear glass, you will not be able to shoot handheld. Performance varies from camera to camera but in bright light I can manage about half a second as my shortest shutter speed. I don't know exactly how this applies to video cameras, but I would imagine you would struggle with the amount of light reaching the sensor. It'd probably be limited to daylight only as I'm pretty sure most artificial light doesn't emit much IR.

I have head that a video designed for IR (no hot mirror presumably) was taken off the market because of its ability to see through clothes, but as far as I know this is limited to relatively few fabrics (nothing on show in any of these)

It's a rip-off because my 52mm IR-pass filter only cost £30

This reminded me of the x-ray machines they are using at airports that can "see' through clothes. Here is a link to the old article. The article, in my browser, is appearing on the right, halfway down.

Air travelers stripped bare with X-ray machine

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-05-15-airport-xray-bottomstrip_x.htm

This is just an IR bandpas filter, as the previous poster said it is only effective of you can remove the IR blocking filter in the camera. Scientific CCDs without a blocking filter and high sensitivity are quite effective at seeing through clothes - it was always a popular demonstration at open days / science fairs! It works best with thin bright cotton clothes and bright sunlight or an IR floodlight from a security CCD camera.
It works because thin cotton cloth is fairly transparent - it jst reflects a lot of visible light that your eye is more sensitive to, if you filter this out you see the light that goes through the cloth and bounces off anything underneath.

The machines at airports really can see through clothes, they are microwave radar with a resolution of few mm. So they can't see detail less than a mm in size - so owners of Humvees don't have to worry!

mgb_phys said:
The machines at airports really can see through clothes, they are microwave radar with a resolution of few mm. So they can't see detail less than a mm in size - so owners of Humvees don't have to worry!

This is actually causing all sorts of problems. I have some colleges that are working on THz scanners for airport security and they tell me that there is a ongoing conflict between security people who want to see everything (and in the THz band you DO see everything, they have much higher spatial resolution than radar since the frequency so high) and people who are worried about personal integrity; at the moment the computers are simply "blocking out" sensitive areas before the image is shown to the operator but that obviously also means that the bad guys can hide whatever they want in those areas.

Maybe I should add that I don't think these scanners are actually in everyday use yes, although they have been tested at some airports.

yeah, the CCDs are IR sensitive. this was actually a PR nightmare for Sony a few years back with its cameras (may have been using a night mode in daylight, don't remember for sure). folks were filming people in bathing suits and putting it on the internet. it's not completely see-through, but it's detailed enough. i think they put an end to it by simply putting in a lens that was not passing IR. in any case, you can't really do this with off-the-shelf cameras anymore, it requires some kind of modification.

Geez one of the example graphics is just wrong! They should call this the creepy pervert lens.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Geez one of the example graphics is just wrong! They should call this the creepy pervert lens.

I know! They censor the best part. :grumpy:

Can Cameras See Through Clothes?

The idea of cameras seeing through clothing has been a topic of curiosity and concern. Let's explore some common questions related to this topic:

Q1: Can Regular Cameras See Through Clothes?

No, regular cameras cannot see through clothing. Cameras capture images based on the light that is reflected or emitted by objects in their field of view. Clothing blocks or absorbs most of the visible and infrared light, making it impossible for a standard camera to see through clothing.

Q2: Are There Special Cameras That Can See Through Clothing?

There are specialized imaging technologies, such as millimeter-wave scanners and backscatter X-ray scanners, used for security and medical purposes, that can detect objects or materials concealed under clothing. However, these technologies are typically used in controlled environments, such as airports and medical facilities, for specific security or diagnostic purposes. They are not capable of providing detailed images of a person's body.

Q3: Is It Legal to Use Cameras to See Through Clothing Without Consent?

Using cameras to see through clothing without the individual's consent is a violation of privacy and may be illegal in many jurisdictions. It is important to respect the privacy and dignity of individuals and adhere to legal and ethical standards when using imaging technology.

Q4: What About "X-Ray Glasses" Advertisements?

Advertisements or claims about "X-ray glasses" that can see through clothing are typically misleading and deceptive. Such products do not exist as portrayed in fictional media. In reality, the technology required for X-ray vision is complex and not available in the form of consumer eyewear.

Q5: How Can You Protect Your Privacy?

To protect your privacy and prevent any potential unauthorized imaging, it is advisable to be cautious in public spaces and dress appropriately. Additionally, it is important to be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious or invasive behavior to relevant authorities.

In summary, regular cameras cannot see through clothing, and specialized technologies that have limited capabilities are used for specific purposes in controlled environments. Using imaging technology to invade someone's privacy is unethical and may be illegal. It is essential to respect personal boundaries and privacy rights.