Physics Forums

Physics Forums (http://www.physicsforums.com/index.php)
-   Science & Math Textbook Listings (http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I need some recommandations for literature about periodic functions (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511194)

tauon Jul1-11 10:39 AM

I need some recommandations for literature about periodic functions

Hello, I know I am asking for advice about a very specific topic - periodic functions, almost periodic functions and quasi-periodic functions. I was hit by an idea and I need to know a few things more comprehensively about this topic !?~ :]

I am aware that "periodic functions etc." isn't a course popularly taught (if at all?) so there may be a shortage of actual textbooks about it, but I should be complexly grateful if anyone could point me towards a way to acquire this knowledge in a relatively connected form. Maybe there are some monographs written on these subjects? Or is searching for bits and pieces here and there my only option of building a fairly exhaustive knowledge about these?

Any input is very much appreciated; and I hope my topic is not too far off from being well-formed.

thegreenlaser Jul2-11 02:53 AM

Re: I need some recommandations for literature about periodic functions

What exactly do you need to know about periodic functions?

A study of Fourier series might be of use to you. While I can't give specific suggestions, you shouldn't have a difficult time finding a book on Fourier series/transforms which also includes a portion on periodic functions in general. Depending on what your idea is, you might even find Fourier series themselves to be quite useful. (breaking apart signals into a sum of cosines with different frequencies).

I have a feeling you'll find that most of the information on periodic functions (beyond the basics you learn in high-school of course) will be little snippets that are specific to some particular topic rather than general information about periodic functions.

tauon Jul2-11 04:08 AM

Re: I need some recommandations for literature about periodic functions

Quote:

Quote by thegreenlaser (Post 3385184)
What exactly do you need to know about periodic functions?

well, everything. sufficient knowledge so that I may say I know "periodic functions theory"... but,

Quote:

I have a feeling you'll find that most of the information on periodic functions (beyond the basics you learn in high-school of course) will be little snippets that are specific to some particular topic rather than general information about periodic functions.

I was somewhat afraid of that... it seems I'll have to dig through the library for what I need. Thank you for your input. :]

Quote:

A study of Fourier series might be of use to you. While I can't give specific suggestions, you shouldn't have a difficult time finding a book on Fourier series/transforms which also includes a portion on periodic functions in general. Depending on what your idea is, you might even find Fourier series themselves to be quite useful. (breaking apart signals into a sum of cosines with different frequencies).

I already covered Fourier series last year. I was wondering if there is a theoretical framework that is more abstract and general. Perhaps something like how function spaces are studied in analysis... ahh, I have no idea how to put this... thanks again. :)