In need of advice: How do I become a mathematician?

In summary: Much appreciated!In summary, the speaker is a senior in high school who has finished their applications and is now waiting for college decisions. They are worried about their future in math and seeking advice on what to do next. They are currently self-studying linear algebra and reading a book on understanding analysis, but feel lost and unsure about their path in mathematics. They are seeking guidance and reassurance from someone with experience in the field.
Eveeeeeelynzzz said:
I have always been told that mathematicians are for pure genius and the more I learn the more I start to be scared. What if I am not suitable for learning math? This is my biggest fear.
@Eveeeeeelynzzz Please read this article. https://talentdevelop.com/articles/HTBAG.html

Likes bhobba, mathwonk and symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
Rigor and intuition are both important in math. Try the books How to Prove It and How to Solve It

Likes PhDeezNutz, bhobba and jedishrfu
Muu9 said:
Read books by Lara Alcock, specifically "How to study as a mathematics major" and "How to study for a mathematics degree". If you want to get a taste of proofs, check out Book of Proof by Hammack (free)
Just wanted to mention that the first is for US student while the second is for UK students

mathwonk said:
here is a famous mathematician weighing in on the question:
https://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/does-one-have-to-be-a-genius-to-do-maths/

I want to mention you may think that's OK for a genius like Terry to say. A little-known fact about Terry is he took QM undergrad at Flinders University, where they designed a special program for him, so he graduated with a Master's at 16. Of course, he breezed through all his math subjects but came a cropper with QM. It was not because he didn't know QM or anything like that. The problem was an assignment where he had to research the history of QM. His normal practice was to cram the night before an exam. Well, it turned out that a large number of marks on the final was to write up the history of QM. He flunked - yes, the great Terry Tao flunked QM. Evidently, he was inconsolable - but learned a valuable lesson. It doesn't matter who you are; you must do the work.

As an aside, Terry was concerned a few years ago with the quality of math education in Australia:
https://terrytao.wordpress.com/2008...ics-at-the-university-of-southern-queensland/

I am happy to report since then, things have changed significantly. When I did my math degree, they changed from a BSc with a major in Math to a rather unique degree, an actual Bachelor of Mathematics. That has now taken off like wildfire - nearly all institutions offer a Bachelor of Mathematics, including Flinders, where Terry went. They also offer a unique degree you take while doing any other degree:
https://handbook.flinders.edu.au/courses/2023/BLITTMT

The government has also come to the table, and now math degrees are the lowest cost of all degrees. About $4k py. For comparison, a Bachelor of Political Science costs about $16k py.

Thanks
Bill

Likes gleem and jedishrfu
bhobba said:
they changed from a BSc with a major in Math to a rather unique degree, an actual Bachelor of Mathematics.
Probably not on the point, but the statement quoted seems a little strange. Distinction between "BSc with major in Math" and "actual Bachelor of Mathematics"? (I did not read the linked article).

symbolipoint said:
Probably not on the point, but the statement quoted seems a little strange. Distinction between "BSc with major in Math" and "actual Bachelor of Mathematics"? (I did not read the linked article).

My old alma mater was the first in Aus to do it. In most universities in Australia and the US, you get a Bachelor of Arts in Math or a Bachelor of Science in Math. It didn't change the subjects you take, but to give it a higher profile, they created a degree called a Bachelor of Mathematics rather than a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science. It's simply a marketing thing to raise the profile of a math degree. I thought I piped the change when I got my degree and told people I had a Bachelor of Mathematics - but technically, when I got my academic transcripts, it just missed the change, and I got a BSc majoring in Math and Computer Science.

My old alma mater has replaced the double major in Math and Computing with a Bachelor of Mathematics, including a major in Data Science or Computational Science:

https://www.qut.edu.au/courses/bach...E09Z1bqUVqkUCBJnHJKPFY_Sm3ilST2RoC39EQAvD_BwE

But you can double major in tons of stuff like Math- Physics, Math-Finance, etc.

Since then, many universities have followed suit.

Thanks
Bill

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint