View Single Post
gptejms
Jun30-06, 01:13 PM
P: 343
Quote Quote by Garth
If the experiment is carried out all at the same gravitational potential level then there is no difference between SCC and SR/GR.
Of course,there is a difference--from GR perspective,the 'particle undergoing acceleration' is equivalent to a 'particle in a gravitational field'--so the change in photon's frequency can be explained.I don't see this happening in the case of scc--I don't see why the photon's frequency should change from the scc perspective.

As I posted above Classical Doppler is not a 'relativistic mass' effect, it is a geometric effect caused by the relative movement; literally the photons are being 'squashed up' if the source is moving towards and are therefore observed at higher frequencies.

This is indicative of the frame dependence of energy levels. What is the zero point when measuring energies? To first order the relative motion shifts the frequency by an amount that is proportional to velocity. On top of his classical shift we factor in a relativistic correction, which does take time dilation into account.
Yeah,this is one way of looking at it as I said in one of the posts above.There are two factors (1+v/c) (or (1-v/c)) coming from classical doppler and a factor of 1/(1-v^2/c^2)^1/2 coming from time dilation.