View Single Post
Cyrus
Sep17-06, 02:56 PM
P: 4,780
I took my car to the shop to get the timing belt and water pump changed today, so I had a few hours of sitting around. I took a stroll to the Porsche dealership next door and talked to the sales man on the new Cayman and Cayman-s. He gave me a little booklet on the car and I read through it. I was very impressed by the amount of technology into this car, so I thought I'd share. From an engineering perspective, it's quite impressive!

Aerodynamics
  • Drag coefficient of 0.29 ( I don't know how good that is, but I have heard porsches tend to be bad shapes aerodynamically and need big rear wings to fix this).
  • The Cayman has a rear wing that extends at speeds above 75mph for extra downforce.

Engine
  • 2.7 liter, 245-hp flat-six 24-valve (mid engine)
  • 201lb-ft of torque between 4600-6000 rpm
  • top speed 161 mph

Cayman-s
  • 3.4L, -295Hp flat-six 24-valve(mid engine)
  • -251lb-ft of torque with variocam plus which adjusts valve timing and lift as rpm changes.
  • Oil pressure/temperature and level sensor that eliminates the need to check the dipstick. -that's cool.
  • seperate coils on each spark plug so the computer can adjust ignition timing as needed.
  • Oil changes every 20,000 miles!
  • spark plugs every 60,000 miles
  • timing chains are maintenance free for the life of the car.
  • 0-60 5.1 seconds.
  • top speed 171mph.
suspension
  • Active Suspension Management - can be programmed for normal or aggressive damping. (Up to 10-mm reduction in ride height).

Gear box options
  • 6-speed manual.

Cayman-s
  • Tiptronic paddle shift- 0.2 second shift time
  • automatic downshifts on heavy breaking
  • gearshift supression when cornering
  • incline sensor for better uphill acceleraton and downhill engine braking
  • automatic upshifting when traction is threatened during breaking on wet roads.

suspension
  • Macpherson-type coil-over struts
  • Active suspension adjusts the damping at each wheel to eliminate pitch and roll

lighting
  • Bi-xenon lights that use blue light on the same wavelength as natural lighting.
  • Dynamic headlight-leveling to adjust the beams to compensate for changes in attitude during braking or acceleration.
  • headlamp washers.

environment
  • 85% of the components can be recycled.

Comfort and personalization
  • water repellent side windows
  • ultrasonic sensors integrated into the rear bumper for parking
  • front and rear cargo trunks. (it's a mid engine)
  • fiber optic connections for audio and communication systems.

That's a pretty slick car. The price is 55-60k US. Anyone here own/drive one before? Buy me one Evo, you're rich.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds