I took my car to the shop to get the timing belt and water pump changed today, so I had a few hours of sitting around. I took a stroll to the Porsche dealership next door and talked to the sales man on the new Cayman and Cayman-s. He gave me a little booklet on the car and I read through it. I was very impressed by the amount of technology into this car, so I thought I'd share. From an engineering perspective, it's quite impressive!
- Drag coefficient of 0.29 ( I don't know how good that is, but I have heard porsches tend to be bad shapes aerodynamically and need big rear wings to fix this).
- The Cayman has a rear wing that extends at speeds above 75mph for extra downforce.
- 2.7 liter, 245-hp flat-six 24-valve (mid engine)
- 201lb-ft of torque between 4600-6000 rpm
- 3.4L, -295Hp flat-six 24-valve(mid engine)
- -251lb-ft of torque with variocam plus which adjusts valve timing and lift as rpm changes.
- Oil pressure/temperature and level sensor that eliminates the need to check the dipstick. -that's cool.
- seperate coils on each spark plug so the computer can adjust ignition timing as needed.
- Oil changes every 20,000 miles!
- spark plugs every 60,000 miles
- timing chains are maintenance free for the life of the car.
Gear box options
- Active Suspension Management - can be programmed for normal or aggressive damping. (Up to 10-mm reduction in ride height).
- Tiptronic paddle shift- 0.2 second shift time
- automatic downshifts on heavy breaking
- gearshift supression when cornering
- incline sensor for better uphill acceleraton and downhill engine braking
- automatic upshifting when traction is threatened during breaking on wet roads.
- Macpherson-type coil-over struts
- Active suspension adjusts the damping at each wheel to eliminate pitch and roll
- Bi-xenon lights that use blue light on the same wavelength as natural lighting.
- Dynamic headlight-leveling to adjust the beams to compensate for changes in attitude during braking or acceleration.
Comfort and personalization
- 85% of the components can be recycled.
- water repellent side windows
- ultrasonic sensors integrated into the rear bumper for parking
- front and rear cargo trunks. (it's a mid engine)
- fiber optic connections for audio and communication systems.
That's a pretty slick car. The price is 55-60k US. Anyone here own/drive one before? Buy me one Evo, you're rich.