View Single Post
russ_watters
Sep22-06, 01:19 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999
Quote Quote by Outrunnersarecool
The original question was reducing an electric bill. So what if you replaced the motor in your airconditioner with a larger diameter outrunner motor at home would that reduce your electric bill or not? Anyone know? if not then why do they use the diameter thats in there? When im working on my car a cheater bar helps at times I guess you guys never heard of a lever?
The original question was using a motor to drive a generator. However....

Most electric motors are on the order of 90-95% efficient. There is nothing to be gained by trying to squeeze an extra percent or two out of them unless the motor is extremely large. And I suspect that these motors are not well suited for use in air conditioners, otherwise they would already be in use.

And like chroot said, I suspect you are still unaware of the how both electrical and mechanical power work. For example, amperage isn't power either (from your original question). Electrical power is v*a - so if your voltage is higer, your power is too.

Googling the efficiency of these motors, it looks like they are from 75-85% efficient, though most of what I saw was for RC plan motors - scaling them up may improve the efficiency. In general, though, A/C motors are more efficient than DC motors.