Coupling to the shaft of an electric motor (different size shafts)

• Thread starter bu4ck
  • Start date
bu4ck
[Mentor Note -- thread spun off of a different thread]

Baluncore said:
You may find it easier to avoid the gear. Short splined shafts are stock items and can be purchased from PTO shaft and drive-line suppliers.

"Taper Lock" bushes are available for any diameter shaft. Google "Taper Lock".
There are several taper lock systems in different sizes available. Select a system that is bigger than either shaft to be joined. Then get two different bushes to fit the shafts.

There are also taper lock flexible couplings of different types.
Look at the taper lock HRC Couplings.
https://pineriversbearings.com.au/power-transmission/couplings/

And there are bigger, more tolerant systems.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/332854007597
Hi. Could you help me with some advise on an electric shaft driven motor, the casing/shaft rods are too wide, can I get shorter ones to fit a 60v brushless motor? I’m a complete novice

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
bu4ck said:
Hi. Could you help me with some advise on an electric shaft driven motor, the casing/shaft rods are too wide, can I get shorter ones to fit a 60v brushless motor? I’m a complete novice
Hi and welcome to PF. We need a lot more information about this before making any recommendations. A photo might help, showing the motor and were it's supposed to go. Some actual dimensions are needed.

Likes russ_watters

1. How do I select the right coupling for different size shafts on an electric motor?

To select the right coupling for connecting different size shafts on an electric motor, you need to consider the torque requirements, the alignment and misalignment tolerances, and the size of both shafts. It's crucial to choose a coupling that can handle the motor's power while accommodating any misalignment between the shafts. Flexible couplings or tapered bushing couplings are often recommended for their ability to manage shaft size discrepancies and alignment issues.

2. What are the implications of using a coupling on mismatched shaft sizes?

Using a coupling to connect mismatched shaft sizes can lead to several issues if not done correctly. These include increased wear and tear, higher vibration levels, and premature failure of the coupling or the motor itself. Proper selection and installation of the coupling are essential to mitigate these risks. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the coupling to ensure it remains in good working condition.

3. Can I use a standard coupling for shafts of different diameters?

While it is possible to use a standard coupling for shafts of different diameters, it often requires additional components such as sleeves or adapters to ensure a proper fit. Alternatively, specialized couplings designed for mismatched shaft sizes, such as stepped couplings, can provide a more robust and reliable connection without the need for extra components.

4. How do I install a coupling on electric motor shafts of different sizes?

Installing a coupling on electric motor shafts of different sizes typically involves aligning the shafts as accurately as possible to minimize misalignment. After selecting the appropriate coupling, use any required adapters or bushings to fit the coupling onto the smaller shaft. Secure the coupling according to the manufacturer's instructions, ensuring that it is tight and aligned. Finally, perform a test run to check for vibrations or misalignment and adjust as necessary.

5. What maintenance is required for couplings on electric motors with different size shafts?

Maintenance for couplings on electric motors with different size shafts includes regular inspections for wear and damage, ensuring all bolts and set screws are tight, and checking for signs of misalignment or unusual vibrations. Lubrication may also be necessary depending on the type of coupling used. Following the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule and guidelines is crucial to extending the life of the coupling and the motor.