View Single Post
Integral
Dec9-06, 04:50 PM
Mentor
P: 7,320
Quote Quote by chroot View Post
I did search and rescue for several years up in the mountains of Virginia, and still keep my full bivouac kit in my car here in sunny California. I can't imagine anyone driving on logging roads up in Oregon not having the presence of mind to realize it's a bad idea, or going so unprepared in the first place. The difference between survival and death can sometimes literally come down to having a half pound of gear.

I'm also amazed at his foolishness in continuing to walk, further and further, for days. Anyone who's done any real hiking knows what to do when you realize you're seriously lost: hug a tree. That's right, just sit your *** right down in the first sheltered spot you can find and try to take care of your basic survival needs without moving away from the spot you first recognized you were lost. Every step you make from that point dramatically decreases the likelihood that you will be found alive.

The SAR people found all kinds of discarded items, like pants and so on, along the route taken by Kim. Perhaps he thought he was stringing them along like breadcrumbs, but I can't help commenting that if he had just stayed where he had left those pants, he would probably have been found alive.

I can forgive him for not knowing the road was so treacherous beforehand. I can forgive him for not having the right kind of gear to survive unsheltered in that environment. I cannot believe, however, that an educated man would leave the shelter of a car, and walk down a ravine -- non-stop, for days -- ensuring that all the SAR people on his tail stay far behind him.

- Warren
My bet is that he did most of his walking, if not all the first day. I have trouble seeing him survive the first night, soaking wet and 35deg. I do not think you could spend a night (a long night at that) in those conditions and survive. You call it a ravine, that is what I call a canyon, and a "bottomless canyon:" at that. I guess to appreciate the term "bottomless canyon" you have had to stand at the top of one looking down.