View Single Post
ZapperZ
Feb3-07, 05:09 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
I think I still need to do creative interpretation here.

Quote Quote by regent View Post
What I meant by the "environment "slows down", similar to a low state of energy" question is if the surroundings of an entangled system enter lower states of energy (for whatever reason), will a particle in this system start 'producing' interferences? I thought that decoherence was an effect only if the entangled system is continuously in motion.
Ok.. if I have 2 entangled photons as in a typical EPR-type experiment, can you indicate to me where would the interaction with the "environment" comes in here?

By "changing in some way" I meant that: If a entangled system exhibited change in any way, (any variable from spin to energy), is there any possibility of interferences manifesting?
First of all, what "interferences" are you alluding to? Remember that most entanglement demonstrations do not make any "intereferences", but rather measures correlations. The only experiment that comes close to measuring "interferences" with entangled particles are the recent experiment that showed that entangled photons can beat the diffraction limit. However, I do not think this is what you are refering to. So can you describe the scenario of such "interference"?

So, are you suggesting there is no paradigm that describes decoherence or that my langauge in expressing my questions is too ambiguous? I apologize if my language did not make sense earlier.
There have been several studies that describe decoherence of a quantum mechanical system, but I am not aware of any yet that connects decoherence with entanglement. You need to keep in mind that the reason that we do not encounter entanglement that easily IS due to decoherence. It can easily (and very often, does) destroy the entanglement between particles.

Zz.