View Single Post
DavidLH
Jun28-08, 08:49 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by jdlawlis View Post
Awww, this one's an easy one. There may be other mistakes, but clearly the author errs in point (g) on page 4. While the atmosphere is gravitationally bound to Earth, it does not orbit the Earth, in the sense that its kinetic energy is half the gravitational potential energy. If this were true, wind speeds would be 8 km/s on the surface! It therefore does not follow that "in terms of the radiative flux Sa=sigma T^4 represents also the gravitational potential energy."
Jdlawlis
When a physicist so thoroughly lays out a comprehensive theory, may I encourage you to carefully read Miskolczi's paper in full and try to understand it before jumping on such a simple "error". Miskolczi notes
"The temperature, pressure, and air density obey the gas law"
I understand this to refer to PV=nRT with its associated derivation from gas particle kinetics. I understand him to primarily mean the internal kinetic energy of the gas (with macro velocity giving small contributions.)

Similarly see page 6
"Regarding the origin, Eu is more closely related to the total internal kinetic energy of the atmosphere, which - according to the virial theorem - in hydrostatic equilibrium balances teh total gravitational potential energy. To identify Eu as the total internal kinetic energy of the atmosphere, the Eu=Su/2 equation must hold."
A quick search on "Virial Theorem" pulls up supporting comments. e.g. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...tro/gravc.html
"One application of this theorem would be to a known mass of hydrogen gas in a proto-star. If you had a good estimate of the mass of the gas and could measure a sample of particle velocities to determine the kinetic energy, then you could predict the kinetic energy as the gas cloud underwent gravitational collapse."
The Virial Theorem, or Energy Equipartition
For a star in ``hydrostatic equilibrium'', the Virial theorem states that the total kinetic energy must be equal to one half the total potential energy by magnitude. In the case of stationary equilibrium, the kinetic energy is all in the random thermal motion of the gas particles and photons. While hydrostatic equilibrium applies to each location within the star, relating the pressure gradient to the local gravitational force, the Virial theorem applies as well to the entire star. This is enough to give a rough estimate of the star's size if you know the average temperature and composition."
If you find primary literature that supports your contention, please cite it to pursue this further. Otherwise I will assume Miskolczi is correct.

Miskolcai' (g) and section 3.1 appear to be an important consequence of Kirchhoff's law applied to the atmosphere. See equations (5) and (6) which Miskolczi later proves by the energy minimization principle (in section 5.1 (page 16) and appendix B.)

I encourage you to clearly verify or refute this important result.

i.e., the sum of all radiation absorbed in the atmosphere is equal to the total internal kinetic energy of the atmosphere which in turn is equal to the total gravitational potential energy.

i.e. incoming radiation absorbed in the atmosphere F plus
portion absorbed in the atmosphere P (of the total thermal energy from the planetary interior to the surface-atmosphere P0,) plus
the net thermal energy to the atmosphere of non-radiative origin K

is equal to the total internal kinetic energy of the atmosphere
which is equal to the total gravitational potential energy of the atmosphere.

The much improved accuracy of Miskolczi's semi-transparent model compared to the semi-infinite and USST-76 is impressive. See Fig. 5 p 18. (I understand this to be simplified physics/thermodynamics model built on the results of his exhaustive radiance-transmittance code HARTCODE.)

See Miskolczi's presentation on
Physics of the Planetary Greenhouse Effect at
2008 International Conference on Global Warming, New York March 2-4, 2008. Audio or Powerpoint
http://www.heartland.org/NewYork08/proceedings.cfm

and Dr. Miklos Zagoni, Physicist and Science Historian
Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary
Paleoclimatic Consequences of Dr. Miskolczi’s Greenhouse Theory
Audio * PowerPoint presentation (PDF format)
and posted at Zagoni's site: theory

Note particularly Zagoni's table "evolution of the greenhouse effect"
(i.e. "climate sensitivity" to doubling CO2) where he calculates Miskolczi's 2007 theory as giving a climate sensitivity of 0.3 K increase compared to Hansen-Houghton 2001 of 1.2 K.