View Single Post
roeb
Oct22-08, 09:21 PM
P: 107
I participated in an REU this past summer and at the moment I am trying to either get an internship/co-op or I would like to continue to do some more research for the summer. I have a few questions regarding letters of recommendation.

1) Is it inappropriate to ask the professor that I did the REU for this summer for a letter of recommendation for a different REU at a different school? Honestly, I don't feel like I terribly excelled during the REU or even showed that I was all that capable of anything; however, I did enjoy it. He did tell me he would write me a letter of recommendation if I ever needed it, but does it look bad because I am not applying to the same school/program?

2) Is it too late in the semester to ask for a letter of rec? The due date is in February but we are approaching Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I don't want to be rude to shove a letter request in his face right when it is getting busy.

I am always wary of asking professors for letters of rec. I would like to attend graduate school and at this point the only professor that I could really ask for a letter is this professor that I did the REU for. I would like to gain more research experience and as well as have another recommendation.

I am an EE attending a research university if that matters (perhaps my chances of getting accepted into another REU program will be slim since I go to a research uni?)

Thanks
-roeb
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space