Looking for physics internships requiring one letter of recommendation

In summary, the speaker is a college freshman studying physics and is looking for research opportunities for the summer. They have applied to several places but are limited by the fact that they can only get one letter of recommendation. They are open to any type of research and are also considering working with a professor at their school. They are seeking advice on what to do if they do not get accepted anywhere.
Juggernaut545
I'm currently a college freshman studying physics. The only previous research experience I had was a virtual one with the EPA on things not really related to physics (it was about 3D printer emissions). I'm trying to look for something for the summer and I've already applied for a bunch (national laboratories, Raytheon, NASA, Air force research laboratory, Northrup Grumman, Lockheed Martin). I don't really expect to get anything from Northrup Grumman or Lockheed Martin but I just decided to shoot my shot.

However, the limiting thing is that it's difficult for me to get letters of recommendation since I've only had one semester at my college. I asked my professor and he said he would write me one but that he could only submit it in February. A bunch of applications require either 2 letters (which is impossible for me), and some that required one letter have much earlier deadlines (January, early feb).

Does anyone know of any other opportunities that require one letter or none? I want to get some research experience so I can join a lab at my school later or another internship. As for the type of research, I'm looking for anything. I still have yet to decide and focus on one.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on what to do if I don't get accepted anywhere? I've asked one of my current professors and I may be able to work with him, but I'm not sure about it. I really have no idea what I would do; the only alternative was studying abroad but those applications close before many decisions come out anyways.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that the professors running labs at your school would be more likely to give a new student chances for opportunities than competitive national labs. Have you tried reaching out to researchers in your department to see if they would be willing to take you on for the summer? At the very least they wouldn't be looking for letters of recommendation.

Likes hutchphd and Vanadium 50

1. What types of physics internships require only one letter of recommendation?

Many research internships in physics, particularly at universities or national laboratories, may require only one letter of recommendation. Additionally, some industry internships may also only require one letter of recommendation.

2. How important is the letter of recommendation in the application process for physics internships?

The letter of recommendation is a crucial component of the application process for physics internships. It provides insight into your academic abilities, work ethic, and potential for success in a research or industry setting. A strong letter of recommendation can greatly enhance your chances of being accepted into an internship program.

3. Who should I ask to write my letter of recommendation for a physics internship?

Ideally, you should ask a professor or research advisor who knows you well and can speak to your academic abilities and potential for success in a physics internship. If you have completed any relevant coursework or research projects, these individuals may be the best choice for writing your letter of recommendation.

4. Can I submit more than one letter of recommendation for a physics internship?

It is always best to follow the specific instructions provided by the internship program regarding the number of letters of recommendation that are required or accepted. If the program only asks for one letter, it is not recommended to submit additional letters unless specifically requested.

5. How can I ensure that my letter of recommendation is strong and will help me stand out as a candidate for a physics internship?

To ensure a strong letter of recommendation, it is important to maintain good relationships with your professors and research advisors, actively participate in class and research projects, and communicate your goals and interests for the internship. Additionally, providing your letter writer with a copy of your resume and personal statement can help them to highlight your relevant skills and experiences in their letter.