View Single Post
Phrak
Sep15-09, 09:12 PM
P: 4,512
Quote Quote by Twinbee View Post
I guessed that too. To make sure, I rendered the cross section at precisely z=0. I'll leave you to judge the results, the math may be going slightly screwy somewhere:

http://www.skytopia.com/stuff/mbrot-...osssection.png

I give it a non-zero percent chance, though I doubt it. I've seen too many of these pictures where one axis is 'dragged along' to create a sheared look.
I swear, I've seen this sort of thing before, somewhere. I think it's due to roundoff error in the mantissa's least significant bits. You might try data type long double to see what happens. Also enlightening would be to fix the value of c at some very small value that's equal to the roundoff error of type double. I think it's the 3 least significant bits.

By the way, there should also be a 2D mandelbrot in the ZY-plane when x is set equal to zero.

[/qoute] "Funny you mentioned that - I recently posted about what would be needed at FF. Rather than a camera type zoom (just standard magnification), it would be nice if the camera would instead move in nearer and nearer to the point of interest. As it gets closer to this point, it would need to move slower and slower too. A high angle/field of view would also help create an 'immense parallax/perspective' feel, without the plain orthographic look.[/quote]

Yeah. And the software could calculate with a distance measure for the center of field of both near and far surfaces. In this way you could eventually come up with a cubical volume for the next round of iterations.

Good stuff! If I believed in fate (which I don't), I'd say it was meant to be (which I won't) :). Let us know how you get on.

I seem to have found that if it wasn't for the final triplex addition step, the rotation/mulitplication part would be fairly easy to set up to rotate around the sphere in a consistent way. Unfortunately, the addition messes everything up, and ambiguity rears its head.
I'll see what I can do, but be warned, this is going to take some time I'm attempting to focus directly on the diff topology problem, then applying it, if applicable and viable.

I've been lurking around your Fractal Forum thread. I've discovered that a few ideas I'd had in mind have been worked out already, so instead, I'll be checking the math. That's quite a team you-all have going--and two years persistant, at that. Very impressive.