Rate of change of ##L## in a rotating coordinate system

In summary, we discussed the relationship between the time rates of a vector in an inertial frame and a co-located rotating frame. We found that there exists a relationship between the two rates, with the addition of the angular velocity vector. However, this derivation only applies when the vector is independent of the coordinate system, which is not the case for the angular momentum vector. Therefore, we cannot use the same formula for the time rate of angular momentum.
Kashmir
* We've a vector ##\mathbf{A}## lying in space, changing according to some rule.

* We introduce an inertial frame and find ##\left(\frac{d}{d t}
\mathbf{A} \right)_{i n}## in it.

* We also introduce a co located frame rotating with ##\mathbf{\omega}##. In this rotating frame I find ##\left(\frac{d}{d t}
\mathbf{A} \right)_{rot}##

* There exists a relationship between the two time rates as
##\left ( \frac{d\mathbf A}{dt} \right )_\text{inertial} = \left ( \frac{d\mathbf A}{dt} \right )_\text{rot} + \boldsymbol \omega \times \mathbf A##

* In all of this derivation it was assumed that the vector ##\mathbf{A}## was independent of the coordinate system. We merely observed the vector in two frames. The vector is independent of the coordinate system.----------------------------------
* Can we use the above equation on angular momentum vector ##\mathbf{L}## i.e ##\left ( \frac{d\mathbf L}{dt} \right )_\text{inertial} = \left ( \frac{d\mathbf L}{dt} \right )_\text{rot} + \boldsymbol \omega \times \mathbf L##?

I think no we can't.

In the derivation of the ##\left ( \frac{d\mathbf A}{dt} \right )_\text{inertial} = \left ( \frac{d\mathbf A}{dt} \right )_\text{rot} + \boldsymbol \omega \times \mathbf A## we assumed that the vector ##\mathbf{A}## was independent of the coordinate system, its lengths and direction in space is independent of the coordinate system.

However for ##\mathbf{L}## that isn't the case.
##\mathbf{L}## has a different length in a stationary frame than in a rotating one. So the derivation doesn't apply.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]L=r \times p[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dL}{dt}=\frac{dr}{dt} \times p + r \ \times \frac{dp}{dt}[/tex]
Why don't you use this relation to check the result ?

Likes vanhees71
Of course you can use the formula. The formula refers to the time derivative of polar or axial vector components (not vectors!).

1. What is the rate of change of ##L## in a rotating coordinate system?

The rate of change of ##L## in a rotating coordinate system refers to the change in angular momentum of a rotating object with respect to time. It measures how quickly the object is rotating and in what direction.

2. How is the rate of change of ##L## calculated in a rotating coordinate system?

The rate of change of ##L## can be calculated using the equation ##\frac{dL}{dt} = I\omega##, where ##I## is the moment of inertia and ##\omega## is the angular velocity of the rotating object. This equation is derived from the conservation of angular momentum principle.

3. What factors affect the rate of change of ##L## in a rotating coordinate system?

The rate of change of ##L## in a rotating coordinate system is affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the rotating object, as well as the angular velocity and any external torques acting on the object. Additionally, the choice of coordinate system can also affect the calculated rate of change of ##L##.

4. Why is the rate of change of ##L## important in physics?

The rate of change of ##L## is important in physics because it is a fundamental quantity that is conserved in isolated systems. It plays a crucial role in understanding the rotational motion of objects and is used in many applications, such as in the design of rotating machinery and in predicting the behavior of celestial bodies.

5. How does the rate of change of ##L## differ in inertial and non-inertial reference frames?

In inertial reference frames, the rate of change of ##L## is constant, as predicted by the conservation of angular momentum principle. However, in non-inertial reference frames, the rate of change of ##L## may appear to vary due to the presence of fictitious forces, such as the Coriolis force. This is because non-inertial reference frames are accelerating, and the conservation of angular momentum principle only applies in inertial frames.