View Single Post
knightscape
Jan19-10, 01:26 PM
P: 3
I understand that resistors in parallel decreases overall resistance and I am familiar with calculating the combined resistance of them in parallel. I was talking about paralellel or series in two different places:

1. The resistors in parallel I tried were on the alternator's output line, where lower resistance, seems to produce higher output. I've got that hooked up to a rheostat right now, and it's working fairly well, though I still need to fine tune it.

2. Others have recomended as an alternative, placing resistors in series on the alternator's field charging line, where theoretically, higher resistance would decrease alternator output by limiting the field within the alternator.

What I'm struggling with is figuring out how much resistance to try out in either of those arrangements. So far, empirically, I've found that very low resistance on the alternator output line achieves the desired effect (I have a cluster of resistors with a combined resistance of 0.2-2Ω (rheostat involved), though I wonder about how much power I'm wasting with those resistors. With this arrangement, I'm able to sustain output of 4.2A.

I have had no luck with limiting current to the field line with resistors in series though, and this seems like it would be the more sensible approach to my mind. I'm curious about this idea of a feedback loop, what would I loop back to the shell? Not the alt output itself right?