Temperature dependant resistor for MAF

In summary: Opel Omega has an OHCI engine which is a 4 cylinder.They probably won't have the resistor you are looking for .
Salvador
Hi folks, so here's my recent problem, My car has a broken MAF (mass airflow sensor)
the semiconductor innards are ok but the very thin metal strip that comes into the airflow tube has become brittle from old age and broken up.
I know the MAF works when it sends a low voltage through the resistance and then as the air that flows past it changes temperature and velocity the resistor is cooled more or less and from this the voltage through it varies.

the thing is for my car I can either buy something close to the original which is siemens made and costs very much or then there are some Chinese alternatives etc but I have tried some of them and they don't work at all , some of them never even disable the check engine light from the beginning.
Also I observed that the original had a thin metal strip as the resistor element but the aftermarket low quality ones seem to have what seems a ordinary style 0.125w resistor mounted inbetween the contacts.

So here's my question is there any readily available material or resistor that I could use for this application ?
I don't aim for best performance I simply need good fuel economy and being able to drive as this is a rather old car and I don't want to spend it's very worth on a small piece of plastic with a resistor in it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of car is it ?

In your place i'd look in a junkyard.
My local metal recycle yard crushes cars . The owner is friendly and will sell small parts like you describe very cheap provided you remove them .
He doesn't charge anything for plastic parts.

just a thought

old jim

Well that's a german car , Opel Omega has a 2.0 gasoline engine.
Well I tried scrapyards , they don't have that many of these cars around here.

1. What is a temperature dependent resistor for MAF?

A temperature dependent resistor for MAF (Mass Air Flow) is a type of sensor that measures the amount of air entering the engine by detecting the change in resistance based on the temperature of the air. It is used in vehicles to optimize fuel efficiency and engine performance.

2. How does a temperature dependent resistor for MAF work?

The resistor is made up of a ceramic material that has a negative temperature coefficient. This means that as the temperature increases, the resistance decreases. As the air flows through the resistor, it cools it down, causing the resistance to change. The change in resistance is measured and used to calculate the mass air flow.

3. What are the advantages of using a temperature dependent resistor for MAF?

One advantage is that it is a relatively simple and cost-effective way to measure mass air flow. It also operates at a wide temperature range and does not require any external power source. Additionally, it is less prone to failure compared to other types of MAF sensors.

4. Are there any limitations to using a temperature dependent resistor for MAF?

One limitation is that it is not as accurate as other types of MAF sensors. It can also be affected by changes in humidity, altitude, and air density. It may also require calibration and maintenance to ensure accurate readings.

5. Can a temperature dependent resistor for MAF be replaced?

Yes, a temperature dependent resistor for MAF can be replaced if it is malfunctioning. However, it is important to ensure that the replacement is compatible with the vehicle's make and model. It is also recommended to have it installed by a professional to ensure proper functioning.